extensions located in ext not loading

Hello, everyone,

Apologies if this is answered somewhere else, but I've been searching for hours for a solution to this, and nothing is helping.

I have just installed php, and I am trying to use PhpMyAdmin with MySQL.

PhpMyAdmin returns an error, stating that mbstring.dll could not be loaded.

Upon investigating my phpinfo, it would seem that no extensions located in php\ext are loading.

I have edited the php.ini file, removed the prefixed semicolons from the necessary extensions, and also tried entering the complete extension_dir, to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated with this, as I currently can't get started!

Karl.

is the php.ini that you are changing the one that php is using and are you restarting your web server to get any changes made to the php.ini to take effect.

the php.ini that php is using can be found in the phpinfo() output for the Loaded Configuration File line.

phpmyadmin uses muti-byte string functions and insists on the extension being loaded.

Edited by mac_gyver

Thanks for the replies.

The file "php.ini" is listed as being the active config file in the phpinfo() output, and I am restarting apache each time I make changes to that file.

None of the extensions contained within the ext file are being listed in the phpinfo() output. Should they be displayed? Or are they not loading?

yes, the loaded extensions should appear in the phpinfo() output. also, are you browsing to the .php file that contains the phpinfo() statement, rather than invoking it via the command line?

i would check your web server error log for relevant error messages. there could be a permission problem, invalid syntax for a path, ...

syntax errors in the php.ini, cause all lines after the point of the syntax error to be ignored and i'm pretty sure that php doesn't provide any sort of php.ini syntax error output to alert you to such problems.  have you made any other prior changes to the php.ini?

how did you obtain and install php? if it's part of an all in one xAMP package, you often need to install extensions using the package's control panel.

Edited by mac_gyver

When enabling any extensions on Windows I recommend you first add your PHP installation folder to the Windows Path Environment Variable. Then configure the the extension_dir directive to be an absolute file path to your PHP extension folder, eg  extension_dir = C:/PHP/ext  (if your path contains spaces then wrap the path in double quotes)

Now go ahead an enable the extensions you require. If they still do enable then trying enabling a setting called display_startup_errors, if PHP is having issues loading extensions it should popup with an error message.

When enabling any extensions on Windows I recommend you first add your PHP installation folder to the Windows Path Environment Variable. Then configure the the extension_dir directive to be an absolute file path to your PHP extension folder, eg  extension_dir = C:/PHP/ext  (if your path contains spaces then wrap the path in double quotes)

Now go ahead an enable the extensions you require. If they still do enable then trying enabling a setting called display_startup_errors, if PHP is having issues loading extensions it should popup with an error message.

The link you attached has some good information, thanks. I did already do this, but I didn't reboot after adding the php installation directory to the path environment variable. I'll have another look tonight when I'm back in front of my computer.

syntax errors in the php.ini, cause all lines after the point of the syntax error to be ignored and i'm pretty sure that php doesn't provide any sort of php.ini syntax error output to alert you to such problems.  have you made any other prior changes to the php.ini?

how did you obtain and install php? if it's part of an all in one xAMP package, you often need to install extensions using the package's control panel.

It's eminently possible that some incorrect syntax could have snuck in at some point in my troubleshooting. I wasn't aware that subsequent lines were ignored following incorrect syntax.

I obtained php as a standalone compressed file via the php website. Is it more advisable for a newbie such as myself to use a pre-bundled package such as XAMPP or Wamp Server?

Sorry if any of this sounds stupid. My first exposure to php was yesterday morning.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.