best answer highlighted

For the answering system, the original poster is capable of marking their own response and gets shown as the best answer.

Would be nice if the user can not mark their own.

When multiple people are helping it does not reflect the others that helped.....so the "best answer" could not be the complete solution.

Not sure if these are modules/plugins or custom coding, something better would be nice, like voting up and down.

For the answering system, the original poster is capable of marking their own response and gets shown as the best answer.

Would be nice if the user can not mark their own.

There have been times where the original poster (OP) has answered their own question. In these cases, the OP should be able to mark their own post as being the best answer.

Of course, there are times where the OP will click the "Mark Solved" button on their post when it really should be someone else's post being marked as the best answer. I would imagine that in most cases the OP doesn't consider their post to be the best answer. They probably just want to indicate the topic is solved and click the first button they see. In these cases, you (as a Guru) could consider changing which post is marked as the "best answer".

Edited by cyberRobot

something better would be nice, like voting up and down.

I agree. A traditional forum posting style such as this does not lend itself very well to Q&A type threads. It's easy for multiple people to suggest something different, which makes the conversation flow difficult to follow. Honestly, something like the way Reddit threads work would be ideal, in my opinion. That way discussion can be forked and all replies to that sub-discussion are easy to follow and on-point.

I have no idea if anything like that exists for IPB, or if it would have to be all custom. It would be a big change either way.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.