doing the usual new to forum Hi post...

jonny512379

Hello all, i am Jon from the UK (England)

I have been using PHP for a couple of years now (and HTML/CSS for near on 20 years).

I started with procedural techniques initially, but now try to use a more OOP style which i can cope with OK.

However i am not to sure i user OOP correctly or if i am using them more just as groups of methods with a little more power than functions (to basically neaten things up, keep code out of the HTML and to save on repeating code).

I have a large project for a site that is large to start with and will constantly grow, so i'm looking to get this right first time with full OOP. (i am doing a full rebuild of this site from asp/MS-SQL to php/MySQL).

i am not sure what, if any, OOP patterns i am using. My own "way" makes sense to me, but im not sure if it follows any standard patterns or if it would be better to do...

(again i don't use any frameworks, at present they seem over complicated but that is probably due to my failings in understanding...)

Anyway i joined here to help me learn and understand, and will also help others if i am able to.

Jon

Hello Jon welcome to the forum.

Don't need a framework if can and don't mind writing all your own and it works.

In a group work environment or required by a job may be good to know it.

If ask me oop is no better than procedural and procedural is no better than oop, just a different way of thinking.

I've seen good and bad coding in both. In the end that's what matters the most.

Hello Jon welcome to the forum.

Don't need a framework if can and don't mind writing all your own and it works.

In a group work environment or required by a job may be good to know it.

If ask me oop is no better than procedural and procedural is no better than oop, just a different way of thinking.

I've seen good and bad coding in both. In the end that's what matters the most.

Thank you for your reply and the info. much appreciated!

I dont mind writing everything (well i may lift a few classes that are already better than i can do for common tasks, etc) as this way i know i understand it all...

I am quiet happy to use procedural for some jobs/sites, as i find smaller sites it is better and easier to read/edit later.

the "new project" is large and will have lots of repeating features + features will be added at late dates too. it also needs to use a set of different HTML files depending on a few variables; So i am thinking OOP may be the best way to go with this... time will tell...

(i also have another "monster" of a site that started small and as fully procedural, but as it has grown the procedural has caused some problems of being repeated lots (with the odd mistake that gets overlooked when updating, etc), so i am slowly changing this to OOP which does make updating it and adding new parts much easier/faster, etc).

The new project is a "bed and breakfast" advertising directory and possibly booking system.

What i am hoping to initially gain from being a member here (as well as joining in), is for me to build a couple of the main classes (probably property.class.php and user.class.php) then ask for constructive criticism, etc

Thanks again

Jon 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.