Do you think it's a good idea to save the original image when creating a resized image?

helloworld001

Say I am uploading an image that gets resized.  The resized image is a thumb. I have it's file path saved in the database and the image itself saved in a folder.  Originally I was saving both to the database and folder.  But now that I think about it, do I have to save the orginal image? Wouldn't I be saving up a lot of space if I only save the thumb image?

What do you think?

Generally when viewing thumbnail images in a gallery (?) one finds it nice to be able to click on one and see the full-size image in a window.

Having these images and choosing to upload them and make them thumbnails - what is the point? If you don't need the full size image, why didn't you just resize it where you originally had it and never upload the fullsize one?

Basically it comes down to - do you need it?

Why not resize the full-size image to thumbnail when serving the thumbnail images? You upload and save the path to the full-size image, then pass that image through some GD functions on the gallery page. That way you're only storing the big image and can have thumbnails of different sizes if necessary. It's been a while since I've done it this way, but it worked well for me.

I can't imagine that the thumbnails take up that much space. If the OP is saving the fullsize ones already (for possible use later on), the addt'l space is a fair tradeoff for the processing time the thumbnail conversion adds to the page load each time it is called upon

Why not resize the full-size image to thumbnail when serving the thumbnail images?

Uploading is done once, viewing is done many times. It's a better use of resources to resize the once rather than the many, especially if you have a gallery page serving up, say, 20 images per page when it could have a significant impact on the page load time.

Generally when viewing thumbnail images in a gallery (?) one finds it nice to be able to click on one and see the full-size image in a window.

Having these images and choosing to upload them and make them thumbnails - what is the point? If you don't need the full size image, why didn't you just resize it where you originally had it and never upload the fullsize one?

Basically it comes down to - do you need it?

I should mention that the resized image(thumbnail) is still fairly large enough in terms of resolution, but lower in file size.  And that's all I'll be using throhghout the site.  Since I have no use for the original image, I guess it's best to not save it.  It will definitly save up space in the directory.

@ginerjm & @Barand: true...

@helloworld001 - so you're not creating thumbnails, you're optimizing the images?

In my case, thumbnails mean a resized image.  I basically upload and resize the image(with new resolution and smaller bytes). I know now that I don't have to keep the original image in the database and directory folder. The resized image(thumbnail) is all I need.  

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.