The correct way to use "DIE"?

yakking

I've been reading up on "DIE" in PHP when a file is not found you can display a message such as "File not found" etc.

So I am trying to work out how to implement it. I have a simple download.php file inside which is <?php echo $_GET["f"]; ?> which prints the URL when called e.g. www.example.com/download.php?f=name.zip

So if a file is not found what is the correct code to use in this situation?

I don't wish to use a apache rewrite as its not specific to my needs.

Just like Barand said.

Can try this though, if want direct download with header and content types will have to work that out.

$path = "/download/";

if (isset($_GET['f']) && trim($_GET['f']) != "") {

if (is_file($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . $path . $_GET['f'])) {

echo " <a href='" . $path . $_GET['f'] . "' download>" . $_GET['f'] . "</a>";

} else {

header("HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found");
        die('File not found');

}

} else {

header("HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found");
        die('File missing');

}

Personally,

While QoC's code will work and answers the question, I don't feel that a 404 is appropriate there. 404's are really for URL's that can't be found, as part of the HTTP spec.

In your case, I think you should simply return a message to the user indicating the issue. Exactly what you want to do is really a matter of personal preference, that comes down to User interface design.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.