Help with tiny function - checking all caps

bjenn85

I have a function I call to check if the title of a post is too long as a backup to maxlength on the form. I am now trying to add a simple check and stop the submission if it is in caps. I am just simply looking for the abscence of any lowercase letters, nothing complicated.

Here is my snippet below but it's not working I always get the caps error even if the title isn't all caps. What am I doing wrong? Sorry I'm a little new to PHP.

function checktitle($title){
if(strlen($title)>55)
return getmsg('Title Is Too Long');
if(!preg_match('/[a-z]/',$title));
return getmsg('Title Is All Caps');}

My Opinions:

When you bunch up your code like that it makes it difficult to follow and see where errors may be occurring.

I would enclose conditional statements within braces. Less prone to errors as what happens if you decide to add an additional statement.

If a function or variable name is more than one word long...each successive word should start with a capital letter or an underscore should be used between words for clarity.

function checkTitle( $title )
{
    if(strlen($title) > 55)
    {
        return getMsg('Title Is Too Long');
    }

if(! preg_match('/[a-z]/', $title))
    {
        return getMsg('Title Is All Caps');
    }
}
Edited by hansford

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.