using db query results to send email

badger1010

Firstly I'd like to say I'm not a coder and I'm new to this forum, so I apologise in advance for any silly noob errors or if I have not followed appropriate forum etiquette.

I have a mysql database to store customer details including the date of an annual examination.

The customers appreciate being reminded about the exam date before it is due, so I want to query the db (about a month in advance) and if any date matches are found, pull out the necessary details and use them to populate and automatically send a reminder email.

I thought that if I could find a php script I could use a cron job to run the query once a day, some days there may be no matches but other days there could be 6 or more.

However, although I've managed to find out how the run a query on the db, I have no idea how to use the results to send the email.

Is anyone able to offer some pointers as to how I can achieve the desired results?

This the code I have to run the query and return any matches:
<?php
$servername = "localhost";
$username = "root";
$password = "*******";
$dbname = "*******";

// Create connection
$conn = new mysqli($servername, $username, $password, $dbname);
// Check connection
if ($conn->connect_error) {
    die("Connection failed: " . $conn->connect_error);
}

$sql = "SELECT * FROM customer_details WHERE exam_date = DATE_ADD(CURDATE(), INTERVAL 29 DAY)";
$result = $conn->query($sql);

if ($result->num_rows > 0) {
    // output data of each row
    while($row = $result->fetch_assoc()) {
        echo "Customer name: " . $row["customer_name"]. "Email: " . $row["email_address"]. "Examination date: " . $row["exam_date"]. "Serial number: " . $row["ser_no"]. "<br>";
    }
} else {
    echo "0 results";
}
$conn->close();
?>

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.