Just need an advice about job relate with PHP

sigmahokies

Hi everyone,

I need an advice about website and job.

1. which is better - Virtual Private Network or Shared-network (like GoDaddy.com).

2. what should I do If i want to have a job at web development - using coding or Adobe Dreamweaver CS6 or CC. 

I need to decide what is best for me to create my own website with PHP. I believe it is easier to create website with Adobe Dreamweaver, but I was told by experienced guy that Dreamweaver is no good to use, most companies are prefer to use using code than Dreamweaver. is that true?

Please advise me.

Thank you in advance time.

Gary

1. which is better - Virtual Private Network or Shared-network (like GoDaddy.com).

I think you mean Virtual Private Server, also known as a VPS. This really comes down to your ability to manage such a server. You will need knowledge of the Linux command line, and knowledge of how things like web servers and database servers work, how to edit and manage configuration files, how to manage log files, how to setup security, etc. If you had to ask this question it means you are probably not ready to take all of that on.

2. what should I do If i want to have a job at web development - using coding or Adobe Dreamweaver CS6 or CC.

I need to decide what is best for me to create my own website with PHP. I believe it is easier to create website with Adobe Dreamweaver, but I was told by experienced guy that Dreamweaver is no good to use, most companies are prefer to use using code than Dreamweaver. is that true?

Dreamweaver is garbage. You need to know how to write code, not generate it.

Any code editor will let you create websites with PHP. Which one is best is a highly opinionated and personal question. For me, I recommend PHPStorm or Sublime Text.

Edited by scootstah

A dedicated server, virtual dedicated server or virtual private server are the better ones in that order, anything shared and could run into limitations.

I have had many that say godaddy is horrible hosting, they should stick to domain registrations

There is a difference between a web designer and a web developer.

A web designer (style and appearance) could be making templates for themes and may use dreamweaver, it's not in any sense ready to use for a website.

A web developer (planning and coding) will code a working website such as a cms, add any style or templates to it.

I should add that making a html5 template and using css is common.

Other routes are using a template engine such as twig or smarty

Edited by QuickOldCar

A dedicated server, virtual dedicated server or virtual private server are the better ones in that order

I think it's important we define the term "better". Dedicated servers are better for some things, and VPS' are better for some things. It really depends what you're trying to achieve.

Sccostah, yeah, that is what I mean, Virtual Private Server...oops. Oh my friend who have more experience with it, he installed the security and manage system, include https. but he is not good at PHP, He is kind of different in special in IT. However, I just start in few years ago, I was in class, I always feel they are not teaching something else. Now, I was right. I am still learning from my friend. 

PHPstorm, I will go google it up...

Thank you.

i used to run servers @ home, later on i managed servers @ my company with better internet resources (many servers on ESX, all accessible for me only hehe). nowadays i discovered i dont want all the hassle anymore of updating/protecting/maintaining/repairing annd all the stuff that comes along with it.

my main argument for using "heavy equipment" was that its unlimited (unlimited databases, unlimited resources, install all software u want, code on server via remote desktop, etc).

i discovered that for my needs its not a bad thing to be limited in everything. if u never reach the limits when you have.. whats the point than of all the trouble and being limitless.

so its entirely up to what your needs are.

for de coding/designing part is the same argument.

for me i use notepad++ to write html/php/js/css/etc.

before i used windows notepad for ages (thought it was cool to being handicapped lol).

i dont like designing software to spit out all kinds of blurrish that i dont write myself. debugging and modificating gets real difficult when u dont hav the special software with u at some points.

but its not impossible to create/develop/master websites with click&drag software and be less awesome than the very best notepadder.

i do think that mastering notepad(++) is easier than mastering dreamweaver on the same level of output.

when u can do the same thing with dreamweaver that an experienced coder with notepad can do... u have magic click&dragging hands :-)

Better is a pretty broad term. While many will say that a VPS is better than shared hosting, there are a lot of things to consider. 

The first being what the site is being used for, and the amount of traffic you're generating to your site. While it's true that shared hosting has its limitations, if you never reach those limitations then it's they're not an issue.

Second to consider is are you going to use a managed VPS or un-managed VPS? Managed VPS usually are set up decently secure and include firewall protection alongside intrusion detection software. While un-managed usually means this is all up to you to accomplish. The reason I say usually is because there is always exceptions to everything, and I don't like blanket statements.  So if you have the experience or the money to hire someone to keep your server secure an un-managed VPS could be what you're looking for, if not may want to look into the managed VPS option. 

Of course if you can find a host who offers all of these options you can always allow yourself to grow as needed. So you can start off on a shared hosting account and upgrade as needed. Many hosts will transfer your files and help you get things set up and going from one account type to another. While others won't... So it's important to know what your hosting service offers to help keep you up and running as your business progresses forward if you decide to go with this option.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.