Comparing time to a timestamp

TapeGun007
Go to solution Solved by TapeGun007,

I seem to frequently beat my head against a wall when trying to compare anything to do with dates or times.  This has me stumped.

In my database I have a TimeStamp.  I simply want to check if 20 minutes has passed.  I have tried at least 20 different examples of code, none of which work.

$Current = date("Y-m-d h:i:s");
$TimeStamp = $row['TimeStamp'];

I presume I want to keep the date and time, but there is obviously something in the whole date and time functions that I'm not grasping.  I know it has to be something very simple.  If you have any links that explain comparisons like this, I would be more than happy to read.

is your database holding a UNIX Timestamp or a MYSQL Timestamp, they are not the same things (though a MYSQL Timestamp is internally stored as a unix timestamp and has the same range restrictions.) a UNIX Timestamp is an integer that represents the number of seconds since '1970-01-01 00:00:00' UTC. a MYSQL Timestamp is formatted/treated as either a 'YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS' string or a YYYYMMDDHHMMSS number.

any mysql or php functions that operate on your data would need to be specific to what your data type actually is. are you using a UNIX Timestamp/integer or you are using a MYSQL Timestamp data type?

• Like 1

@benanamen, Yes, I'm aware of that method.  But I need the data for both the over 20 minutes and under 20 minutes, so that will not work.

@hansford - doesn't work.  It thinks the time has passed every time.  

The output for echo "$now - $past - $elapsed_minutes"; 

1445456993 - 1445412904 - 734

@mac_gyver - I made a change today as I realized I don't need a timestamp field.  I don't want the field to auto update.  So I set it to datetime instead.  This is in the mySQL db, but now you got me curious... how do you tell if it's UNIX or mySQL?

a unix timestamp would be stored as an integer data type. the functions used to produce the integer value would be those that produce a unix timestamp, such as php's time()/mktime()/strtotime() functions or mysql's UNIX_TIMESTAMP() function.

a mysql timetamp would be defined as a mysql timestamp data type, with the values being supplied to it as either a 'YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS' string or a YYYYMMDDHHMMSS number.

@benanamen, Yes, I'm aware of that method.  But I need the data for both the over 20 minutes and under 20 minutes, so that will not work.

You left out that detail my brutha.

SELECT *,
IF(timestampdiff(minute, timestamp_column, Now()) > 20, 'More than 20', 'Less Than 20') AS status 
FROM your_table
Edited by benanamen

a unix timestamp would be stored as an integer data type. the functions used to produce the integer value would be those that produce a unix timestamp, such as php's time()/mktime()/strtotime() functions or mysql's UNIX_TIMESTAMP() function.

a mysql timetamp would be defined as a mysql timestamp data type, with the values being supplied to it as either a 'YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS' string or a YYYYMMDDHHMMSS number.

Ok, so then yes, it was a timestamp... of course, I now have made it a datetime field instead.

@benanamen, oh very nice.  I'm not so good at SQL actually.

Here was my original SQL:

$sql = "SELECT * FROM LoginSecurity WHERE TempCode ='$temppassword' AND SalesID='$ID'";

I'm not sure how to implement your code with mine but I'll take a stab at it.  I'm guessing:

$sql = "SELECT * 
    IF(timestampdiff(minute, TimeStamp, Now()) > 20, 'More than 20', 'Less Than 20') AS status
    FROM LoginSecurity
    WHERE TempCode ='$temppassword' AND SalesID='$ID'";

But, but, you said...

need the data for both the over 20 minutes and under 20 minutes

Your WHERE condition is only going to get you a record(s) matching the SalesID and TempCode

Did you really name your timestamp column timestamp? You know thats a MySQL Reserved Word dont you?

I now have made it a datetime field instead

Why did you do that? You were OK with a timestamp column for what you are doing. Its the same exact format as datetime. The query I gave you may not work on datetime, it uses the timestampdiff function.

Edited by benanamen

Benanamen, 

Yeah, my bad.  That's because I have two different pages I'm working on at the same time.  One will show a list of all (admin) and one will show just a single entry (user).

For the users page I really need something like this (but it is incorrect):

"SELECT * 
            FROM LoginSecurity
            WHERE timestampdiff(minute, TimeRecord, Now()) < 20 AND SalesID = '$ID' AND TempCode ='$temppassword'
            ";

• Solution

benanamen,

It's quite simple (supposedly):

I have a table called "Security"

Security

----------

ID

SalesID

SecurityAnswer

TimeRecord

TempCode

Attempts

LoginSecurityID

All I want to do now (regardless of what I posted previously) is check if the TimeRecord is less than 20 minutes.  I need to also ensure that the TempCode matches, and the ID is correct.  

"SELECT * 
            FROM LoginSecurity
WHERE timestampdiff(minute, TimeRecord, CURRENT_TIMESTAMP()) < 20 AND SalesID = '$ID' AND TempCode ='$temppassword'

I've tried CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, and I tried using Now()....it just doesn't seem to work and so I know it's a syntax thing.

To test I'm running the following after the query:

$rs=$con->query($sql);
    $rs->data_seek(0);
    $row = $rs->fetch_assoc();
 if($row > 0){
   echo "Record found";
}else{
   echo "Record not found";
}

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.