Client Side Redirect URL1 -> URL2

xProteuSx

Ok, this is something that I used to know how to do.  Its a local windows file, that you edit to redirect your browser when a certain URL is being looked for.

The thing is that I have a website that gives me revenue via the eBay Partner Network.  Unfortunately, instead of going to my website to click on the link to eBay and then looking for items (so that I can collect revenue on my purchases) I am in the habit of going to my.ebay.com.

What I would like to do is have the browser take me to mywebsite.com every time I type in my.ebay.com into the browser.  How can I do this?

TIA.

Really? You can't remember to type mywebsite.com so you're looking for a technological solution? How about a bookmark? Takes seconds to make one and you, who has a problem typing things, can instead click things instead.

The hosts file is what you're thinking of, but it alone won't be enough. All it does is tell your browser which server a website lives at. It doesn't do redirects.

Odds are you will have to configure the server that hosts mywebsite.com to be able to handle "my.ebay.com", and then have it issue the redirect. Because there is no way to have a client-side redirect before you've even gone anywhere - unless you make an add-on or extension for your browser.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.