What should be a simple issue is making me nuts... Help please.

Johninbc

A very simple script to pass a form to a databasase.... Should be simple, right?

Well, the script runs without errors, the var_dump output is apparently correct, the sql statement runs when I put it in the mysql window of phpmyadmin (without the enclosing quotes that are output in the var_dump) and enters the data into the database, but when I run it for real, nothing is inserted intothe database, though the key counter is incremented.

I will post the entire code for the script as well as the output of hte var_dump.

I'm absolutely certain it's something really simple and stupid, but for eh life of me I cannot see it. Been fighting with this for over 40 hours.

Any insight would be appreciated.

<?php
define('db_name', 'ssidata');
define('db_table', 'man_data');
define('db_user', '*******');
define('db_pass', '*******');
define('db_server', 'localhost');

$company = $_POST['company'];
$first = $_POST['first'];
$last = $_POST['last'];
$position = $_POST['position'];
$addr = $_POST['addr'];
$city = $_POST['city'];
$state = $_POST['state'];
$country = $_POST['country'];
$zip = $_POST['zip'];
$phone = $_POST['phone'];
$email = $_POST['email'];
$skype = $_POST['skype'];
$type = $_POST['type'];
$notes = $_POST['notes'];

$dbconnect = "'localhost', 'john', 'roobear', 'ssidata'";

$conn = "mysqli_connect($dbconnect)";
         if (!$conn)
         { (die('No database table connection'));
         }
         echo "connected to database";
         echo"";
$user_info = "INSERT INTO man_data (company, first, namlast, position, addr, city, state, country, zip, phone, email, skype, type, notes) VALUES ($company','$first','$last','$position','$addr','$city','$state','$country','$zip','$phone','$email','$skype','$type','$notes')";
$writedata = "mysqli_query($conn $user_info)";
echo "dbconnect";
var_dump($dbconnect);
echo "writedata";
var_dump($writedata);
echo "user info";
var_dump($user_info);
echo $user_info;
      if ( $writedata )
            {
             echo "Your information was added to the database.";
              //  mysqli_close($dbconnect);
            }
            else
            {
                die("Error posting to database: " .mysql_error());
            }
            ?>

<a href='entry_form.php'>Click to return to Data Entry Page</a>;

Var_dump for user_info

'INSERT INTO man_data (company, first, namlast, position, addr, city, state, country, zip, phone, email, skype, type, notes) VALUES (1','2','3','4','5','6','7','8','9','12','23','34','fullsystems','1234')'

The only thing I can think of is the enclosing quotes but I cannot figure out how to pass that variable without them.

Peace...
john.

Edited by Johninbc
db credentials

You're missing a quote in front of the first parameter's value. Change "...VALUES ($company','$first',..." to "...VALUES ('$company','$first',..."

Are those values integers or strings? If integers, you don't need the quotes anyway.

In addition, $writedata is a string in the context you posted, and doesn't actually run the mysqli_query() function - you're missing a comma between your parameters and would have received an error if it'd actually run. Furthermore, you're using Mysqli - which is good - but you're still wide open to SQL injection. Use a prepared statement for the insert.

Thanks guys.
As for teh credentials, it's not a live database and the real one will be rather different. The purpose is not for general public, but internal use by only a few people, so injection isn't much of an issue. I will be adding security and validation as I go.
All the values are strings...  Teh quote error was from a test I did with another fellow that didn't get corrected properly.
I will try the corrections suggested and advise.

You need to pass 4 parameters when you connect, not just 1.

Try

$conn = "mysqli_connect(db_host, db_user, db_pass, db_name)";

I had those variables in teh statement at first and it coughed and threw up.. No idea why... So I changed them tothe actual values and that cleared up the issue... There are 4 passed by $dbconnect

But for SH**s and giggles I changed it and no difference.

Edited by Johninbc

There shouldn't be double quotes around mysqli_connect. It should be

$conn = mysqli_connect(db_host, db_user, db_pass, db_name);

Bingo... sort of... I had to change the $writedata variable setting too... AWESOME!!! now it works...

That shoud teach me not to listen to the tutorials on the net, I guess... LOL

thank you so much....

John.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.