Validating and logging in from a form

lewashby

In the following pages I'm trying to validate if a user is signed in or not. If the user is signed in I would like to see 'Log Out' printed to the screen(I'll do more with that later). If the user is not signed in I would like to see a login form at the top right of the screen. As it stands I'm only seeing 'Log Out' on the screen, I can't get the form to show up anymore. I thought it might be because the session variable was still hanging around but I restarted my computer to make absolutely sure but I'm still just getting 'Log Out'. At the moment I need this program to work as is as much as possible. If you see an entirely different approach that you would use that's fine but I don't currently have the time to go changing a lot, I need to get this going kinda quick. Thanks.

records-board.php

<?php
require_once('includes/init.php');
if(!isset($_SESSION)) { init_session(); }
?>

<html>
  <head>
    <Title>Pop Report</title>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="styles/popreport2.css">
    <h1>Pop Report</h1>
  </head>

<body>
<?php

if(isset($_POST['nameinput']) && isset($_POST['passinput']))
{
    $nameinput = $_POST['nameinput'];
    $passinput = $_POST['passinput'];
    User::sign_in($nameinput, $passinput);
}

if(!isset($_SESSION['user']))
{
    print_form();
}
else
{
    echo "Log Out ";
    echo $_SESSION['user']->name; // this line was just trouble shooting, it told me nothing!
}

?>

user.php

<?php

if(!isset($_SESSION)) { init_session(); }

class User
{
    public $name;

public function __construct($username, $password)
    {

$connection = get_db_connection();
        $query = $connection->query("SELECT * FROM users WHERE username='$username' AND password='$password'"); 

if(!$query)
        {
            echo "Invalid username or password";
        }

else
        {
            $result = $query->fetch(PDO::FETCH_ASSOC);

if(!$result['username'] == $username || !$result['password'] == $password)
            {
                echo "Invalid username or password";
            }
            else { $this->name = $result['username']; }
        }
    }

public static function sign_in($username, $password)
    {
        $_SESSION['user'] = new User($username, $password);
    }
}
?>
<?php

function print_form()
{
    echo "<form id='loginform' name='loginform' action='records-board.php' method='post'>";
    echo "Username: <input type='text' name='nameinput'>";
    echo "Password: <input type='text' name='passinput'><br />";
    echo "<input type='submit' value='Sign In'>";
    echo "</form>";
}

?>

your code contains two logic problems.

1) if(!$query) - this condition means that the query failed with an error of some kind (sql syntax error, wrong table or column name.) it does not mean that the username/password was invalid. your code should actually be using exceptions to handle database errors so that the main program logic only has to deal with the non-error conditions.

2) your code creates an instance of the user class in $_SESSION['user'] any time the User::sign_in() method gets called, regardless of the username/password matching anything. any request to the page after that will result in $_SESSION['user'] being set.

your user class needs a property or method you can use in your code to determine the logged in state.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.