Warning: mysql_real_escape_string() expects parameter 1 to be string,

jarvis
Go to solution Solved by Psycho,

Hi all,

I'm running an update sql query from my wordpress functions file when a form is submitted. This grabs the address fields, uses the Google API and gets the lat and lng co-ords so I can utilise these elsehwere. My issue is the warning I get when I submit the form. My codes below:

$meta_value = array(
				'address' => $full_address,
				'lat' => $lat,
				'lng' => $lng
			);				

#$location = array($full_address,$lat,$lng);			
			print_r($meta_value);

$wpdb->show_errors();
			#$wpdb->update( $table, $data, $where );
			$wpdb->update( $wpdb->postmeta, 
				array(
					'meta_value' => $meta_value
				), 
				array( 
					 "meta_key" => 'location',
					 "post_id" => $post_id
				));

$wpdb->print_error();
			var_dump( $wpdb->last_query );	

However, when it runs, I get the warning: Warning: mysql_real_escape_string() expects parameter 1 to be string,

It should pass in the values from the Array:

Array ( [address] => Address 1, Town, County AB12 3CD, United kingdom [lat] => 50.123456 [lng] => 0.1234567 ) 

I can't see for looking now so any help is much appreciated!

Ah think I'm getting somewhere (typical after posting on here and a day of hair pulling)

I've changed the code to

$meta_value = serialize(array(
				'address' => $full_address,
				'lat' => $lat,
				'lng' => $lng
			));	

Which has resolved the warning. But now adds \\ which I need to remove. For example;

a:3:{s:7:"address";s:55:"1 test road, Test town, Test County ab12 3cd, UK";s:3:"lat";d:50.123456;s:3:"lng";d:0.123456;}

How would I remove those?

• Solution

According to the manual for the update method, the second parameter should be an array of name/value pairs. Instead you are passing a name/array. 'meta_value' is supposed to be a field name and $meta_value is assumed to be a value for that field. You are passing an array for for $meta_value. You can't store an array as the value for a field. Not knowing exactly what you are trying to achieve, I can't provide the correct solution.

I'm thinking you should either be storing the data in fields named 'address', 'lat', and 'long' using this

$meta_value, 
    array( 
        "post_id" => $post_id
    )
);

Or, you may need to convert the array to a string. Definitely not advised to store data in this manner, but since you are using word-press, I'm not sure what your options are

$value = implode(", ", );

array('meta_value' => $value), 
    array( 
        "post_id" => $post_id
    )
);

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.