jQuery - on click - find element whose class contains a variable

jimleeder123

I've got a bit of jQuery that is getting the bit of data that I want to search the page for. This is posted below.

$(".pagelink").click(function(){

var myClass = this.className;
		var number = myClass.substr(myClass.length - 1);

});

This bit is working ok. It gets the last bit of the element's class name which is a number incremented by the PHP that echoes it out.

Now I want to search the page for a div that has a class that contains that var number. There will be a div somewhere on the page with a class that contains that number. It will be called either row0, row1, row2, row3 etc etc.

The div is not a descendant element of the pagelink class, it is somewhere else so I don't think the find() variable is suitable.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

The whole approach looks very weird and very inefficient. Why would you use sequential classes? Why not IDs? And what happens when the numbers exceed one digit, thus breaking your substr() hack?

You haven't provided any context, but it looks like what you actually want is one sequential ID per row. And the page links should store the corresponding row ID in a data attribute so that you don't have to pull it out of some class name.

I'm looking for a div that has the class row0 if the clicked element is pagelink0, row1 if its pagelink1 etc. Please note that the row div is not a child element, pagelink is a child element of another element (div called paginationwrap).

Requinix can you please tell me how to do search in jQuery? Haven't done it before.

I'm looking for a div that has the class row0 if the clicked element is pagelink0, row1 if its pagelink1 etc.

You already said that, and I just told you that your approach is stupid. So instead of banging your head against a wall, why don't you choose an approach which actually makes sense?

<!DOCTYPE HTML>
<html lang="en">
    <head>
        <meta charset="utf-8">
        <title>Page title</title>
        <script src="http://code.jquery.com/jquery-2.2.0.min.js"></script>
        <script>
            $(function () {
                $('.pagelink').click(function () {
                    var targetID = $(this).data('target');
                    var target = $("#" + targetID);

alert(target.text());
                });
            });
        </script>
    </head>
    <body>
        <a href="#" class="pagelink" data-target="row-1">Link to row #1</a>
        <a href="#" class="pagelink" data-target="row-2">Link to row #2</a>
        <a href="#" class="pagelink" data-target="row-3">Link to row #3</a>
        <div id="row-1">This is the content of row #1</div>
        <div id="row-2">This is the content of row #2</div>
        <div id="row-3">This is the content of row #3</div>
    </body>
</html>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.