php sessions

timmah1

Can anybody tell me why this is not working?

session_start();
if (!isset($_SESSION['user'])) {
header('Location: admin-login.php');
}

No session is set, yet I can still view the page.
I get no errors or anything.

I'm at a loss because I've used this same thing for a lot of sites, and all of those work

The whole approach is suicidal. When you don't stop the script, it happily keeps running and will in fact render the entire page (or take any action the user has requested). This obviously defeats the purpose of authentication checks.

The only reason why your code seemingly “works” on your other sites is that a successful redirect makes a standard browser discard the original content and jump to the new page. Appearently the header() call has failed this time (I assume you have prior output), so the problem which has always existed now becomes visible.

Long story short:

• Always stop the script if authentication failed. A redirect alone doesn't do anything but advise the client to visit another URL.
  • Check if there's output prior to the header() call. This is not allowed.
  • Turn error reporting all the way up and make sure you actually see the errors (you only do this on your development machine, of course!)

ok, I have this now

I get on error on Line 9 that headers were already sent (which is header('Location:admin-login.php')

Nothing is output before my session_start()

session_start();
include 'assets/config.php';

error_reporting(E_ALL);
ini_set('display_errors', '1');

if(empty($_SESSION['user'])) {
    header('Location: admin-login.php');
exit;
}
Edited by timmah1

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.