MySQL Query Using Variable Search

xProteuSx
Go to solution Solved by xProteuSx,

I've got something like this:

$value = "SELECT rb_values.val_" . $_SESSION['add_value_year'] . ", rb_images.img_thumb, rb_images.img_lock, rb_notes.not_general, rb_notes.not_modern, rb_notes.not_specialized FROM rb_values, rb_images, rb_notes WHERE rb_values.val_id = $note[0] AND rb_images.img_id = $note[0] AND rb_notes.not_id = $note[0]";

Then I use mysql_fetch_assoc(),  but I don't know how to retrieve the data for:   rb_values.val_" . $_SESSION['add_value_year'] . "  because that row could be val_2015, val_2014, val_2013, etc. depending on the value of $_SESSION['add_value_year'].

I have tried using index number, but to no avail.  I really don't know what to do here.

• Solution

Got it working.  Did this:

$year_value = 'val_' . $_SESSION['add_value_year'];

Then:

$value = "SELECT rb_values." . $year_value . ", rb_images.img_thumb, rb_images.img_lock, rb_notes.not_general, rb_notes.not_modern, rb_notes.not_specialized FROM rb_values, rb_images, rb_notes WHERE rb_values.val_id = $note[0] AND rb_images.img_id = $note[0] AND rb_notes.not_id = $note[0]";

Then I could use:

$row[$year_value]

a) you could use an alias name for the select term, then use use the alias name when you reference the data in php

b) you should normalize your data. you should not have columns like that, where you must alter your database table any time you add data for a new year. the way you have your table laid out now, is not normalize, and results in more complicated queries to do anything with or find any of data.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.