MySQL 5.7 Now Requires Default Data Settings For All Columns

DeX

I upgraded my server to Ubuntu 16.04 which also installed MySQL 5.7 with it and now every time I run an insert statement, it errors and tells me there is no default data specified for that column. If I go into PHPMyAdmin and specify default data for all columns, the insert will run without error.

How do I turn this off? It's affecting my production sites, I just want it to go back the way it was of inserting empty strings or zeroes (or null) for any column I don't specify.

Yes. If you want to omit the data for a column that is declared as NOT NULL, you need a default value.

The implicit default values you talked about earlier (0, 0.0, the empty string etc.) are a MySQL quirk which I'd only use as a workaround for completely broken legacy systems. If you can fix the problem, fix it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.