Problem with include statement

Texan78
Go to solution Solved by Texan78,

I am having some problems with an include statement. Seems like a very simple task but, for some reason probably due to lack of knowledge it isn't working. 

Here is the layout of the folder structure I am working with for example. The pages are in a sub-domain. Sub-domain is called media. The index page is in media > network > kdfw > index.php

The index.php is the file in which I am trying to include the file in. 

The included file is  in media > network > kdfw > inc

These are the methods I have tried...

<?php include '/media/inc/chaserData.php'; ?>

<?php include 'media/inc/chaserData.php'; ?>

<?php include '/inc/chaserData.php'; ?>

<?php include 'inc/chaserData.php'; ?>

<?php include ($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/media/inc/chaserData.php'); ?>

<?php include ($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'media/inc/chaserData.php'); ?>

<?php include ($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/inc/chaserData.php'); ?>

<?php include ($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'inc/chaserData.php'); ?>

None of the above work and I am not sure as to why. 

Is there anyone who could provide some insight and shed some light to this issue?

-Thanks

Thanks, I have tried that too with my many combinations. That does not work ether. 

This is the error I get in the error log trying the above suggestion. I am not sure if this is because it is in a sub-domain or what but I am having all kinds of trouble using include statements. Even in my dbinfo.php file I use in my script that calls data from a MySQL I had issues and had to use ($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT']  before that include statement to even get that to work. 

Anyways, here is the error from using the suggestion you mentioned. 

[17-Aug-2016 22:54:02] PHP Warning: include() [<a href='function.include'>function.include</a>]: Failed opening '../inc/chaserData.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib64/php:/usr/share/pear') in /home2/livestp1/public_html/media/network/kdfw/index.php on line 40

• Solution

I got it sorted out by using this below. I am not sure if this is the correct method but, it works. I think because it is an addon domain and the files are in a sub-domain of the add on domain the normal method doesn't work as normal I am assuming. 

<?php include($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/network/kdfw/inc/chaserData.php'); ?>

The DOCUMENT_ROOT method is the best method. Remember that it starts at the root of your website (which is apparently "media"), not the current directory.

Using __DIR__ is the second best method and is relative to the current directory.

include(__DIR__ . "/inc/chaserData.php");

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.