Scrolling in topics referred by an email

Something is wrong with the line you provide in emails re: any topic I am following. When I use the email link to get to the topic my scroll wheel on my mouse doesn't work, nor do the arrows on the window's scroll bar. I have to grab the moving part of the scroll bar to scroll. Yet when I open up the site manually I have no problems at all.

This only started happening in the last few days. In fact it works right now as I am composing this note.

Well - I clicked on your email link and here I am - unable to scroll the easy way.

Yes - I have re-booted recently. Haven't noticed any other problems.

The question is - why does it happen when I use the link in your emails but not when I open it up by clicking on a desktop icon pointing at the php forum?

I know it seems impossible, but it is happening suddenly and doesn't seem to be going away.

If I click a link from one of your emails the url is this:

http://forums.phpfreaks.com/topic/302056-scrolling-in-topics-referred-by-an-email/?do=findComment&comment=1536944

If I manually open up php freaks and navigate to the same topic the url in the address bar is this:

http://forums.phpfreaks.com/topic/302056-scrolling-in-topics-referred-by-an-email/?do=findComment&comment=1536944

Arriving at the page using manual navigation allows for proper scrolling, even tho the address bar looks identical. To compound the issue, if I use the email link and then modify the address bar to remove the #... part and hit enter, the page reloads at the top of the topic and scrolling now works.

No - I can't see any difference. And no - I am not doing anything out of the ordinary. I'm simply trying to do what I do everyday - until the last few days.

Edited by ginerjm

I'd guess it's probably due to some problem with your email client keeping focus after opening the page. Your attempts to scroll would then be directed to the email client rather than the browser. I've had similar things occur on my system from time to time where some program will start up in front of my other apps but somehow doesn't actually get keyboard/mouse focus. I have to alt-tab to some other app then back to the one that just launched before it'll take focus.

As for why it just recently started happening I can't say. I can say however that whatever the issue is, it has nothing to do with the PHPFreaks website and is not something anyone here could fix.

It is definitely a focus issue. NO amount of clicking achieves focus in the browser window though. Switching to other apps and back, closing the mail message window, even opening up another browser window (which does scroll!) and switching back doesn't achieve the proper focus. BUT - I discovered that if I maximize my problem browser scrolling works. Un-maximize it tho and the focus issue returns.

Oh, well... such is life.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.