calling constructor method

osherdo

I am using Laravel framework.

I want to authenticate a user on all functions available in my code.

I did not understood the constructor method quite right, and the docs were hard to follow as well.

Assuming I have this code:

public function __construct()
 { // Constructor for checking user's auth after a while.

$this->middleware('auth');
 if (!Auth::check()) { return redirect('auth/login');
 }

function something()
{
// How do I call it to work inside this function?
}

Thanks for helping.

You don't call the constructor in other methods. The sole purpose of the constructor is to initialize the object right after it has been created (hence the name), and doing this multiple times can go horribly wrong.

Either simply copy and paste the auth check. Or create an extra method which is called in both the constructor and other methods. Actually, an auth check in the constructor doesn't make a lot of sense to begin with.

Edited by Jacques1

The usernames are on the blue bars. Your name is osherdo, my name is Jacques1.

I still don't get why I will need to call the method in the constructor as well.

Nobody ever said that except you. According to the documentation, you either attach the authentication check to the route or the entire controller (by calling the middleware method once in the constructor).

So it seems your assumption that you have to do the check per method is simply false.

@Jacques1 thanks for that. So I understood the quoted part from your reply, and I think I may have misunderstood you.

Or create an extra method which is called in both the constructor and other methods. Actually, an auth check in the constructor doesn't make a lot of sense to begin with.

You asked how to call a constructor in every method to perform an authentication check. I've told you this is wrong and offered a functionally equivalent but sane alternative. I have not addressed the question whether your idea is the right approach for Laravel.

If you want Laravel-specific help, you're in the wrong forum. I can move your thread to the frameworks section.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.