Warning where methods are not compatible

NotionCommotion
Go to solution Solved by Jacques1,

How can I prevent getting a warning?  I can make Editor::display($page_id=NULL), but I would rather not as not passing a value should represent an error.

Strict Standards: Declaration of MyApp\Editor::display() should be compatible with MyApp\Base::display($page_id = NULL) in /var/www/application/classes/Editor.php on line 0

<?php
namespace MyApp;
class Base
{
    public function display($page_id=null){
        return ['menu_main'=>$this->getMenu()];
    }
}

class Editor extends Base
{
    public function display($page_id){
    }
}
Edited by NotionCommotion

• Solution

You can't override a method and then change the signature entirely. This wouldn't make any sense, because one of the core principles of OOP is that you can substitute superclasses with subclasses. You're trying to violate this principle, because $obj->display() would work for instances of Base but not for instances of Editor.

What you can do of course is make the parameter optional in both classes and throw an InvalidArgumentException when null is passed to the method of Editor.

Or try to set up a less confusing architecture (e. g. two different methods).

• Like 1

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.