4 replies to this topic

#1 requinix

requinix
  • Administrators
  • Impoverished Administrator
  • 9,874 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 22 September 2016 - 12:05 AM

Sorry about the few days of lost content but IP.Board 4 was clearly not up to the job.

Two points specifically:

1. Due to their implementation of search, search engine spiders were killing site performance. This was the main problem.
2. They dropped features we need and use, namely BBCode (very handy for a programming community) and Mark Solved (their Discussion forum style is not a replacement).

To the handful of members who signed up in the last few days, sorry but you will need to sign up again. I promise your experience on this site will be better than it was before.
"Basically, I think the general rule of thumb is: if someone really wants the blood that's inside of your body, and they're like a vampire, or a dracula, or some sort of man-squito, then that's probably okay. A dracula and a man-squito are made for removing things like blood and swords from inside your body. That's basically fine. If something wants to get at your blood and they're, say, some kind of murdersaurus, or maybe a really big frog, that's where the problems start to arise. A really big frog is not made for removing blood, and your blood knows this, which is why it is so vehement about wanting to stay in your body instead of coming out. Unfortunately this will not deter a really big frog because a really big frog is full of things like prizes, and value, and quite a lot of hatred, and it would really rather like to replace any and all of those things with your blood, and basically by any means possible." --slumbermancer

#2 benanamen

benanamen
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Master Coder
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 02:35 AM

Personally, I don't know why the site was "Upgraded". I never had any problems. Only issue I had was the annoying double space when you did a quote.

To save time, let's just assume I am never wrong.

The XY Problem
The XY problem is asking about your attempted solution (X) rather than your actual problem (Y). This leads to enormous amounts of wasted time and energy, both on the part of people asking for help, and on the part of those providing help.

Make A Donation https://www.paypal.me/KevinRubio

"This text has been encoded with ROT26. If you can read this you must have found a backdoor. Congratulations!"

#3 requinix

requinix
  • Administrators
  • 9,874 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 22 September 2016 - 03:49 AM

IPB 3 is old and unsupported. No updates, no improvements, no fixes. We need to move to something that's still actively maintained. IPB 4 is the best candidate but apparently there are some issues we need to work out with it first.
"Basically, I think the general rule of thumb is: if someone really wants the blood that's inside of your body, and they're like a vampire, or a dracula, or some sort of man-squito, then that's probably okay. A dracula and a man-squito are made for removing things like blood and swords from inside your body. That's basically fine. If something wants to get at your blood and they're, say, some kind of murdersaurus, or maybe a really big frog, that's where the problems start to arise. A really big frog is not made for removing blood, and your blood knows this, which is why it is so vehement about wanting to stay in your body instead of coming out. Unfortunately this will not deter a really big frog because a really big frog is full of things like prizes, and value, and quite a lot of hatred, and it would really rather like to replace any and all of those things with your blood, and basically by any means possible." --slumbermancer

#4 cyberRobot

cyberRobot
  • Moderators
  • Much to Learn
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 04:07 PM

Personally, I don't know why the site was "Upgraded". I never had any problems. Only issue I had was the annoying double space when you did a quote.

I personally liked many of the design changes. And was happy to see the [code][/code] tag bug go away, as well as the double space issue. Of course, there were many things I would have needed to adjust to and some that I'm still trying to repress.  :happy-04:

#5 requinix

requinix
  • Administrators
  • 9,874 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 24 September 2016 - 01:52 AM

I split the quote thing into its own thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users