IMAP functions

ginerjm
Go to solution Solved by ginerjm,

Trying to use the imap functions to handle moving incoming mail from the INBOX to a separate folder. Read all kinds of stuff on the various functions to read the headers and such and now the move function is killing me.

I have studied my host's email configurations and the manuals references on how to make the connection but I am getting nowhere. Here's my connection string:

$mailbox = imap_open("{mydomain.net:993/imap/ssl/novalidate-cert}INBOX", $emailacct, $emlaccess);

I have tried several different ports and /switch choices and none work. The one I posted is the most often referenced so I show it to you.

The problem I keep getting is this error message:

Errors: Array

(

[0] => Client tried to access nonexistent

namespace. (Mailbox name should probably be prefixed with: INBOX.)

(0.000 + 0.000 secs).

)

As you can see my connection string doesn't use any other mailbox but INBOX so I don't understand the problem here. The error occurs right after trying to do the open, not later when I actually try to use imap_move_mail to move stuff from INBOX to a seperate folder, which btw is NOT underneath eh inbox.

Anyone out there used these functions before?

Edited by ginerjm

• Solution

Problem solved. Found some new material and after a bit more experimenting got it all working.

For those interested:

To make an ssl connection using IMAP with no 'real' certificate use this:

$host = "{domain.net:993/ssl/novalidate-cert}INBOX";
$mailbox = imap_open($host, $emailaddr, $emlaccess);

I was using this in a script that was handling forwarded emails on STDIN so the following got me the current message #

$imap_obj = imap_check($mailbox);
$msg_cnt = $imap_obj->Nmsgs; // get last msg no. that we just processed

With the messge number I could then move the message out of the inbox to a specific destination folder that

I wanted to archive these emails in:

imap_mail_move($mailbox,$msg_cnt,$dest);

Note that my dest folder had to be named as follows:

INBOX.subfolder.subfolder

rather than how some parts of the manual said it had to be formatted.

Last but not least and as the manual did tell me, when you do a move like this the original message still sits in the inbox. You have to turn on the flag in the imap_close function to cause this message to be removed once the inbox is closed

imap_close($mailbox,CL_EXPUNGE);

Note the value is a Constant and needs no quotes.

This all had to be done as IMAP since one cannot do folder moves using POP3 apparently.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.