New Forums

What about the Other Programming Languages forum we already have?

It's a bit of a catch-22: we don't know how popular it would be to have one because people aren't really asking questions about them, but people aren't asking questions partly because we don't have one.

"Other" is pretty generic and does not group the topic types. This site may as well just have a php forum and other forum only then. It takes a couple seconds for a mod to add a specific forum so what will it hurt to add it, popular or not?

I currently leave this site to other forums for the "other" technology stuff. The first top two priorities for a site owner is to get people to their site and to keep them there. IMO, phpfreaks has the most knowledgeable experts than any other forums I am on.

To be clear, I'm not saying no. I'm saying I don't see a need for it: nobody is asking Ruby or Java questions.

"Other" is pretty generic and does not group the topic types.

Yeah... There's always going to be an "other" forum because there's always going to be questions that don't fit into other categories.

This site may as well just have a php forum and other forum only then.

Reductio ad absurdum

It takes a couple seconds for a mod to add a specific forum so what will it hurt to add it, popular or not?

1. Being easy has absolutely no bearing on any of this.

2. Why should there be a forum/a few forums for subjects that nobody (on this site) asks questions about? If there was a demand I'd have no problem with this, but currently there isn't a demand.

3. We are PHP Freaks. Would you go to RailsForum.com to ask a PHP question if they had a forum for it?

Just making a suggestion as this is what this forum is for. Not looking to get into an argument about it.

Why should there be a forum/a few forums for subjects that nobody (on this site) asks questions about?

Probably because there is no specific forum for it.

We are PHP Freaks. Would you go to RailsForum.com to ask a PHP question if they had a forum for it? 

Now you're getting ridiculous. This site has NUMEROUS SPECIFIC forums that are not php. Javascript Help, Html Help, CSS Help,........... And if I was already at the rails forum I probably would if there were knowledgeable people there.

benanamen, on 07 Oct 2016 - 11:29 AM, said:snapback.png

This site may as well just have a php forum and other forum only then.

Reductio ad absurdum

Whatever your trying to say here, the rails forum you link to is exactly that. Rails and other. This is not a pure php site like the rails site is pure rails.

Edited by benanamen

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.