prevent Dreamweaver MX from adding line break after tabs in code view

When I open a file be it a html or in most of the cases a PHP file the view changes to what it was saved as.  So say I have indented a portion of text to 2 or 3 or more tab indents and save the file.  When I open it again in dreamweaver the tabs are still there, but the whole portion that was indented is now brought to the next line and taken to the first column and not indented as it was previously saved.  If I enit the file in notepad and open it the file is how it was saved as I wanted it.  But opening this file in DW and the code gets changed.

I have looked through a lot of the settings nad can not find anything that has helped stop this.  Even the do not change files with certain extentions stops it.

Is there another setting that I have missed that will stop this ?

I don't have a solution for this particular problem, but after 10 years of programming, I think it's time to abandon Dreamweaver and switch to a professional IDE (PhpStorm, Netbeans, Eclipse, whatever). If you're into minimalism, there's Notepad++.

And as a nice side effect, your tools will no longer fudge up your code.

You shouldn't directly upload files to your server either. This can easily fudge up your site, and it will be very difficult to recover from a problem when you've made multiple changes over a longer period of time.

Instead, use version control software like Mercurial or git. This allows you to properly manage changes and update the server in a controlled manner. Since all mainstream IDEs have built-in support for version control, committing a change is just as easy as uploading in a file in DW. You can then either let the server update itself, or you do it manually (whatever you prefer).

I understand that you like DW, but I get the impression that it's actually preventing you from discovering better solutions and making progress. I'm also afraid you won't find many developers who use DW. But of course you're free to try.

I don't have a solution for this particular problem, but after 10 years of programming, I think it's time to abandon Dreamweaver and switch to a professional IDE (PhpStorm, Netbeans, Eclipse, whatever). If you're into minimalism, there's Notepad++.

And as a nice side effect, your tools will no longer fudge up your code.

I downloaded Netbeans and installed it and like the look of it.  I have not had an major issues with uploading any of my custom written files directly to the server using DW. (from the errors point of view)

I would really like to have it all setup just like I had with DW, where I edit the files and it saves it locally and then immediately to the server.  I have yet to go through all the settings to see what under the hood.  But did see something about saving locally for some testing server or something, will have to check that again.  Think I will check a bit more of the help pages as well.

Are any of the settings files of the project saved to the server ?

Change is good sometimes but only if it does not take away some of the original features that I was use to.

Edited by jasonc

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.