Photo

Had notifications problems? 500s when posting?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 requinix

requinix
  • Administrators
  • Impoverished Administrator
  • 9,874 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:00 AM

Has anybody not been receiving HTML notifications... and then started receiving them again about two, maybe three days ago? If you do text-only then you probably weren't affected.

I found a problem whose fault lies squarely with IP.Board* but apparently there was a workaround/fix coded into the forum so it was easy to deal with. I did some quick testing before and after and it should be fixed, but I haven't heard anybody else (except one person) mention not getting notifications so I'm not sure. And normally registrations drop to 0 when there are email problems but that didn't happen.

(* They abused PHP's mail function in such a way that a security fix made to PHP prevented HTML emails from being sent. Insert rant about IPS/IPB here.)

And by the way, if you ever have problems about emails - like are suddenly not receiving them anymore - PLEASE SAY SOMETHING! And that applies to anything that's clearly broken. IPB doesn't give any clear notice or warning about problems like that happening so I don't know if/when emails break. Which they've done multiple times before.

AND in the course of posting this, I discovered that notifications were COMPLETELY BROKEN. White-screen-of-death-showing-a-500 broken. #@*&^%( vim. Fixed.
"Basically, I think the general rule of thumb is: if someone really wants the blood that's inside of your body, and they're like a vampire, or a dracula, or some sort of man-squito, then that's probably okay. A dracula and a man-squito are made for removing things like blood and swords from inside your body. That's basically fine. If something wants to get at your blood and they're, say, some kind of murdersaurus, or maybe a really big frog, that's where the problems start to arise. A really big frog is not made for removing blood, and your blood knows this, which is why it is so vehement about wanting to stay in your body instead of coming out. Unfortunately this will not deter a really big frog because a really big frog is full of things like prizes, and value, and quite a lot of hatred, and it would really rather like to replace any and all of those things with your blood, and basically by any means possible." --slumbermancer

#2 Barand

Barand
  • Moderators
  • Sen . ( ile || sei )
  • 18,169 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 06:17 PM

I can't remember when I last received an email notification from this site.

I should also receive notifications in the bar at the top of the screen when a new topic is posted in the MySQL forum, but my last notification of any kind was Oct 8th, despite a new MySQL topic yesterday.

If you are still using mysql_ functions, STOP! Use mysqli_ or PDO. The longer you leave it the more you will have to rewrite.

Donations gratefully received

moon.png

|baaGrid| easy data tables - and more
|baaChart| easy line, column and pie charts

#3 requinix

requinix
  • Administrators
  • 9,874 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 11 October 2016 - 02:34 AM

I don't know of any problems with on-site notifications. And I can't be sure but I think that "user adding users" thread may have been moved into MySQL from somewhere else.

I just made a test thread. Did you get a notification for it?
"Basically, I think the general rule of thumb is: if someone really wants the blood that's inside of your body, and they're like a vampire, or a dracula, or some sort of man-squito, then that's probably okay. A dracula and a man-squito are made for removing things like blood and swords from inside your body. That's basically fine. If something wants to get at your blood and they're, say, some kind of murdersaurus, or maybe a really big frog, that's where the problems start to arise. A really big frog is not made for removing blood, and your blood knows this, which is why it is so vehement about wanting to stay in your body instead of coming out. Unfortunately this will not deter a really big frog because a really big frog is full of things like prizes, and value, and quite a lot of hatred, and it would really rather like to replace any and all of those things with your blood, and basically by any means possible." --slumbermancer

#4 requinix

requinix
  • Administrators
  • 9,874 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:45 AM

So that part works.

The email was sent, but your provider bounced it due to a reverse DNS issue: the forums are on a .53 server, the email is from @phpfreaks.com, but phpfreaks.com is still on the old .52 server. I'll change the email to be @forums.phpfreaks.com as a hack for now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users