Had notifications problems? 500s when posting?

requinix

Has anybody not been receiving HTML notifications... and then started receiving them again about two, maybe three days ago? If you do text-only then you probably weren't affected.

I found a problem whose fault lies squarely with IP.Board* but apparently there was a workaround/fix coded into the forum so it was easy to deal with. I did some quick testing before and after and it should be fixed, but I haven't heard anybody else (except one person) mention not getting notifications so I'm not sure. And normally registrations drop to 0 when there are email problems but that didn't happen.

(* They abused PHP's mail function in such a way that a security fix made to PHP prevented HTML emails from being sent. Insert rant about IPS/IPB here.)

And by the way, if you ever have problems about emails - like are suddenly not receiving them anymore - PLEASE SAY SOMETHING! And that applies to anything that's clearly broken. IPB doesn't give any clear notice or warning about problems like that happening so I don't know if/when emails break. Which they've done multiple times before.

AND in the course of posting this, I discovered that notifications were COMPLETELY BROKEN. White-screen-of-death-showing-a-500 broken. #@*&^%( vim. Fixed.

I can't remember when I last received an email notification from this site.

I should also receive notifications in the bar at the top of the screen when a new topic is posted in the MySQL forum, but my last notification of any kind was Oct 8th, despite a new MySQL topic yesterday.

I don't know of any problems with on-site notifications. And I can't be sure but I think that "user adding users" thread may have been moved into MySQL from somewhere else.

I just made a test thread. Did you get a notification for it?

So that part works.

The email was sent, but your provider bounced it due to a reverse DNS issue: the forums are on a .53 server, the email is from @phpfreaks.com, but phpfreaks.com is still on the old .52 server. I'll change the email to be @forums.phpfreaks.com as a hack for now.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.