[SOLVED] another site

Ninjakreborn

its better what you've done with the 'E'. looked to much like 'secrete feedback' before.
also, there is a site there now. assuming you got your security tightened up a bit?

actually it doesnt look [i]too[/i] bad.but

1) i have to ask - what's the point of having that scrollbar inside the page? a) its not wide enough for the content, so i get a vertical scrollbar too, and b) in this case, the outer (main page) scrollbar is perfectly sufficient. as for inner scroll areas in general - i learned the error of my ways as soon as i bought a mouse with a mousewheel. inner scroll areas are a pain in the arse for us.

2) you have no page title.

3) there is no padding between the container and text on the pages.

4) displaying email addresses like that on sites - especially free ones like yahoo or hotmail - just looks bad and cheapens things alot. make a contact form.

5) what is the file upload for (apart from gaining unauthorised access to your pages... ;D) ?

6) using javascript to provide your cornering seems a bit of a cop-out. either use images, or CSS (www.cssplay.co.uk)

7) although you have a 'Home' link at the top, for me the best home link on sites i visit is the logo.

8) things just seem a little too text-based (ie, bland), especially with the coldish colour scheme to go with it.

10) your 'error' pages upon entering invalid info are pretty useless.

11) seems a little too easy to insert junk into. no registration required, etc. once the bots catch up with you, you'll have a headache and a half.

Ok, I will go back and address these issues.
Yes security was tightened up considerably, and tested.  I tried out the file thing, they seem to be pretty secure, if someone finds another hole, I will tighten things up even more.
As for the variables, I went all out on those, hopefully no-one could do anything with those now, but if they do, I am willing to edit my functions to accomodate as needed.

As for the comments, ehre are my responses.
[quote]
Two complaints:

1) Needs more lively colors.. right now it feels kinda drowsy.
2) The middle area probably shouldn't be a frame and it needs some padding, text sits right at the edge of the frame making it annoying to read.[/quote]
1. Unfortunately the color's themselves (knowingly dull), have been chosen by the client.  I will offer him some suggestions, maybe he will give the OK to change them.  Good advice.
2. It's not on a frame, it's in a div, I will explain why in a minute, when I respond to reds.

[quote author=redbullmarky link=topic=118193.msg482751#msg482751 date=1165855567]
its better what you've done with the 'E'. looked to much like 'secrete feedback' before.
also, there is a site there now. assuming you got your security tightened up a bit?

actually it doesnt look [i]too[/i] bad.but

1) i have to ask - what's the point of having that scrollbar inside the page? a) its not wide enough for the content, so i get a vertical scrollbar too, and b) in this case, the outer (main page) scrollbar is perfectly sufficient. as for inner scroll areas in general - i learned the error of my ways as soon as i bought a mouse with a mousewheel. inner scroll areas are a pain in the arse for us.

2) you have no page title.

3) there is no padding between the container and text on the pages.

4) displaying email addresses like that on sites - especially free ones like yahoo or hotmail - just looks bad and cheapens things alot. make a contact form.

5) what is the file upload for (apart from gaining unauthorised access to your pages... ;D) ?

6) using javascript to provide your cornering seems a bit of a cop-out. either use images, or CSS (www.cssplay.co.uk)

7) although you have a 'Home' link at the top, for me the best home link on sites i visit is the logo.

8) things just seem a little too text-based (ie, bland), especially with the coldish colour scheme to go with it.

10) your 'error' pages upon entering invalid info are pretty useless.

11) seems a little too easy to insert junk into. no registration required, etc. once the bots catch up with you, you'll have a headache and a half.

[/quote]
1. I wasn't going to ask this, but when I asked for CSS advice, about how to adapt the layout to the content.  I was using the scrollbar, I asked how to remove it, I didn't get a response on how to adapt the layout, but I did get a response, from someone on the css post, about the scrollbar, they said leave it there, that's what it's for.  If you are mentioninging the bottom scrollbar in the same div, I noticed that problem and fixed it,  now it is just an up/down scroll bar.  If you have other suggestions on how to do it, I would be happy to give it a try.
2-4. Great advice, I will address/fix all of those
5.  The fileupload was something he requested, he wants people to be able to post images on the site, it was something he decided he wanted to pay an extra 50 bucks for.
6. I did this out of advice from wildteen, he offered a link to "Curvy Corners" so I used that ever since.  I can take a look at using images instead though, they are just a little annoying working with.
7. Good idea, I will work that out.
I will see about the color scheme, he was set with it, but if you have some "advice" on a color scheme, or I can come up with a better one ahead of time, I can work him up an image of how it will look, and see if he will accept it.
10. Can you explain, you think I should take out the errors, that the fields must be filled in, what should I do instead.
11. I warned him of this ahead of time, tried to talk him out of it.  BUt he was deadset on this, the only thing he wanted to do was track ip, for banning.  Other than that, he wanted no registration, no email verification, no nothing.  I couldn't shake him on this one, even though I tried talking him out of it at first.  He wanted nothing hindering free posting.

Sorry about that, he must have went hay wire. 
He seems to have banned a lot, I don't know why he would ban random people, he probably copied the wrong IP, I may have to redo the system a little, and allow him to ban off the posts.
I think he's going a little bit haywire with it.  First time someone get's an ip banning system, you never know how crazy they will get, I emailed him, told him to double check, and watch it from now on.

i tried to see if you got the < script > issue sorted (which you did), so i was probably banned for valid reasons. but no arguments, no time limit, no means of appeal - just 'you are banned forever' type thing.

not a clue with IP. it changes quite a bit. always starts with an 86 though.

thing you need to watch with IP banning is things like corporate networks, etc. ban one, you ban the whole company - and considering much of word of mouth goes around during "office doss time", IP banning is not good.... i'm sure one day he'll realise that a login/verification system of some form is gonna be the best method. even if it was a 'provide a valid email address' to which a link is sent to to activate the comment, rather than just your normal run-of-the-mill login system. will prevent spam to a large extent, too.

Ok, I forwarded him what you said.  See what he thinks, I told him I had someone testing the site, a friend of mine, and it got banned.  I also showed him what you said, so maybe he will change his mind about IP banning, or atleast do the login/verification system with it.
As for the IP, it's not automatic.  IF you got banned, it's because he saw something and banned you, like maybe cussing(not sure), or maybe he accidentally did it, when he was trying to block the other person or something.
No telling, but I told him to find it out, and fix it, possibly consider removing teh banning system, and instead putting in place an authentication system.  Or something similar.
Some way to prevent the bullshit?
Maybe one signup per email, and if there is any bullshit from that email that email can be removed, and banned.  So they have to go through the trouble of getting an entirely new one, if they want to bullshit on it again.

The logo is a pixelated mess. I'd suggest you re-do it.

For something so simple, the user experience is pretty ugly. 

When I post a comment I get to see my comment ... and no obvious method for getting back to the "secrets".  Yes, if you click the logo you get back - but why? I don't need to see the comment I just typed, send me back to the content.

The page scroll is 100% unnecessary. Change the scrollable div containing the content so that at a sensible page resolution there's no vertical scrollbar [b]for the page[/b]. As is, the content scrollbar forces me to scroll the whole page to see more comments.

What the heck is going to happen when there are 1000 secrets? Will the scrollable div be a million pixels long? Pagination is the answer :)

[code]The logo is a pixelated mess. I'd suggest you re-do it.

For something so simple, the user experience is pretty ugly.

When I post a comment I get to see my comment ... and no obvious method for getting back to the "secrets".  Yes, if you click the logo you get back - but why? I don't need to see the comment I just typed, send me back to the content.

The page scroll is 100% unnecessary. Change the scrollable div containing the content so that at a sensible page resolution there's no vertical scrollbar for the page. As is, the content scrollbar forces me to scroll the whole page to see more comments.

What the heck is going to happen when there are 1000 secrets? Will the scrollable div be a million pixels long? Pagination is the answer Smiley[/code]
Thank you andy.  I will have that logo redone, I will work on the user friendlyness some this week as you suggested.
Ok, the scrolling, you mean verticle (I think left right)< yes I tried to fix that, I thought it did.
As far as the limitations, it limits the views to 100
I think I will talk to him about limited it to more like 10, and seeing how that goes, that might limit, or remove the scrollbar.
I am going to double check, make sure the scroll bar (left/right), is totally gone. I was using wordwrap to limit that, wordwrap($var, 70)
I will limit that to 50, that should totally limit content enough to prevent hat scrollbar.  Do you have any other advice on content itself, and any advice ( on an alternative to the banning system)
Is one really that unreliable.

In firefox the bottom (horizontal) scroll is partially hidden behind the bottom section.

How many times can I post on the site before it will stop me?

Is it me or do the majority of the people that have posted on that site have some weird sexual urge needing to come out? :P

Your contact form isn't checking for empty fields, goes straight to success msg.

I also miss some sort of link to the main page after a feedback is left etc. etc. But i think it looks ok, maybe too simple (some kind of menu will be needed - like AndyB was pointing, scrolling and scrolling is a boring solution.)

Well my client hasn't gotten back to me, and he is starting to talk about stuff on that, on my server, that I don't appreciate.  So I am waiting until I get paid for teh final section of the "site" tell him that (so far I collected nothing on the information about hosting), So I am quiting that site, and moving it to another server, too much content on that site, I don't want on my server.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.