Setting field to unique per user and not column

learningprobs

Hello,

I would like a little bit of guidance please to make sure I am not going to code something bad and have to redo it down the line.

I have these fields:

TAble = delivery_addresses

FIELDS = 
    user_id,
    company,
    name,
    surname,
    street,
    town_id,
    postcode,
    countries_id,
    primary

Each user has multiple delivery addresses but only 1 can be set as a primary = 1 at any one time.
My problem is how to set only 1 field to 1 but have all the others back to 0 per user.

With a bit of research I have this command(user = id of 170)

UPDATE delivery_addresses SET primary=IF(id=170, 1, 0)

From what I understood is that "if the user with the id of 170 is found, set the primary column to 1 and all the others to 0".

Am I correct to assume this?

Now if I wish to INSERT an address and set it as primary from the start, this will then require 2 queries, one insert that sets the primary to 0 and 1 to update it back to 1, is this the right way of doing it?

Thank you in advance.

Edited by learningprobs

Ok, it seems that this works fine:

UPDATE delivery_addresses SET
      primary_address = IF(address_id=5, 1, 0)
      WHERE user_id = 179

Could anyone confirm please that this is the right way to set 1 field to 1 while changing all the others to zero? Will this not cause a big load on the server when more and more rows are added?

Thanks,
Edited by learningprobs

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.