incremental number for each table row

wkilc
Go to solution Solved by mac_gyver,

How is a FORM tabular data? Let's not lose sight of where we started. The OP is using a table for LAYOUT/PRESENTATION when he should be using CSS.

The OP's form asks for a series of school [names], student [names], and class [names]. That data, once collected, would likely be displayed in a data table as described by NotionCommotion in Reply 11. Of course, the real data wouldn't say Student1, Student2, etc.

So if the collected information works as tabular data, why can't the input fields be displayed with an HTML table? Is it because the input fields are probably going to be empty in the beginning? If so, let's say a visitor fills out the form, but they forgot a required field. The form would hopefully be displayed again for the visitor to enter the missing data. The fields now contain data. Shouldn't that be treated as tabular data...assuming the table is formatted to meet accessibility best practices?  :happy-04:

With all that said, I am fully aware that the code posted by the OP is not accessible.

What you are talking about sounds more like Ajax inline table editing with dynamic table row creation. Of course this can be done if it's what you really want.

This is what I believe you are referring to but I dont think this is what the OP is trying to do. 

http://talkerscode.com/webtricks/demo/demo_add-edit-and-delete-rows-from-table-dynamically-using-javascript.php

What I'm referring to can be accomplished with plain HTML and PHP. Basically, a user is presented with a blank form. They fill it out and hit submit. Then PHP processes the submission. If it finds a required field that was left blank, PHP builds the form again and incorporates everything the visitor entered before, along with an error about the missing data.

I don't see why those form fields, with or without data, cannot be displayed in an HTML table. As long as the proper coding is added to make it a data table, people with assistive devices will know if a field contains a value or is blank.

They also get a bit more information about the fields because of the data table. They will know who many rows and columns the table contains, for example. So if the form has one of those "add more fields" features, the person with a screen reader, for example, could make sure they have enough rows to entering their data.

What I'm referring to can be accomplished with plain HTML and PHP. Basically, a user is presented with a blank form. They fill it out and hit submit. Then PHP processes the submission. If it finds a required field that was left blank, PHP builds the form again and incorporates everything the visitor entered before, along with an error about the missing data

All fine and good and as it should be. What I am saying and others would say, is use CSS for the layout you want, not HTML.

i.e: <table><tr><td>.....

There is nothing more I can say other than that.

Edited by benanamen

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.