Proper Date Checking on a form

TapeGun007

I'm just curious if there's a much better way to do this:

I have a form and the input looks like this:

<td><input name="InspectionExp" value="<?=$InspectionExp; ?>" id="date4" placeholder="mm-dd-yyyy" /></td>

The id on the form is for a jquery that auto formats the input field when selected to "__-__-____".

By default a new user InspectionExp is a DATE field in mySQL and is set to NULL.

So when the form is initially loaded up, the INPUT field above is blank with the place holder showing.

So first I check

if(isset($_POST['LicenseExp']) {

Then for whatever reason this seems to be the only thing that works right, but seems really sloppy to me:

if(!strlen($LicenseExp) == 10){ $LicenseExp = DateTime::createFromFormat('m-d-Y', $_POST['LicenseExp'])->format('Y-m-d'); }

If I don't have an IF statement, then by default it's going to UPDATE the database with a 1969-12-31 date on new users.  I can't use isset because the form makes the value set (again only on new users).

I mean, the code works yes, but I am pretty certain one of you gurus could show me a better way.

Whoops... I thought it worked. but when submitting the form with nothing in the INPUT field it crashes on the

if(!strlen($PostLicenseExp) == 10){ echo "yes"; $PostLicenseExp = DateTime::createFromFormat('m-d-Y', $_POST['LicenseExp'])->format('Y-m-d'); }

I see... I didn't need the ! before strlen...I had it the wrong way around.

Edited by TapeGun007

So is the field required or not? If it is required, then it should actually say that.

You need three checks:

• If the parameter is present at all. isset() does this.
  • If the date is formally valid. The DateTime::createFromFormat() method does this, but you must check the return value. Don't assume that your jQuery stuff will prevent all input errors.
  • If the date is plausible.

In any case, I strongly recommend you use a date picker instead of making the user enter a bunch of digits. It will greatly increase usability und reduce the amount of garbage input.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.