Show link if....

I have a page which shows up to 5 news links from a regularly updated database, using a repeat region. When there are more than 5, the oldest link drops into an archive page which is specific to the current month. At the bottom of the 5 items, I have an html link to the archive page, which works fine as is. However, now I want to make this link's visibility conditional on the number of links on the main page - as in show if there are more than 5 items, and hide if there are 5 or less.

Hopefully this makes sense, if not, please ask!

Currently the db query for the items to display is this:

SELECT *
FROM tblNews
ORDER BY tblNews.newsID DESC

with a repeat region of only 5 items.

This is the part I want to tie to the recordset:

<p><a href="newslinkpage.php" title="link to news articles pages">More articles</a></p>

I've tried LIMIT, which doesn't seem to like the idea, and I'm a bit stumped as to where to look next. Anyone able to point me in the right direction for wording the queryset?

Many thanks.

J

• 4 weeks later...

[!--quoteo(post=333515:date=Jan 5 2006, 06:25 AM:name=degsy)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(degsy @ Jan 5 2006, 06:25 AM) 333515[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]

I think you are looking for something similar to

<?php if($totalRows_Recordset1 > 5){ ?>
<p><a href="newslinkpage.php" title="link to news articles pages">More articles</a></p>
<?php } ?>

Thanks, this worked wonderfully. Now if you happen to know the right way to bring up stuff from LAST MONTH.. a sort of CURDATE() -1 ........

Meantime I'm off to read the PHP Manual - Again!!

:)

Joss

[!--quoteo(post=333563:date=Jan 5 2006, 08:26 AM:name=sgiandhu)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(sgiandhu @ Jan 5 2006, 08:26 AM) 333563[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]

Meantime I'm off to read the PHP Manual - Again!!

I found my answer in the SQL manual, and am posting it here for anyone who might be interested:

SELECT * FROM tblNews WHERE MONTH(newsDate) = MONTH(DATE_ADD)CURDATE(),INTERVAL -1 MONTH))

Here's the reference to [a href=\"http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/date-calculations.html\" target=\"_blank\"]date calculations[/a]

And thanks again, to degsy, for pointing me in the right direction

Joss

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.