One instance of a value in a while loop

mdmartiny

Go to solution Solved by taquitosensei,

I am in the process of writing a personal mail system for something that I am working on.

I am setting the system up that when you open the message. It shows the original message and all messages associated with the original message. I am doing this with a while loop. I do not want to, however, show the message subject with every iteration of the while loop.

How do I make it only show the subject once and run through the rest of the while loop?

This is the code that I have so far.

<div class="row compose-form">
<?php 
	$id = $_GET['id'];
	$que = "SELECT mail.*, CONCAT(s_t.first, ' ', s_t.last) AS 'to', CONCAT(s_b.first, ' ', s_b.last) AS 'for' FROM mail INNER JOIN users AS s_t ON mail.sent_to = s_t.id INNER JOIN users AS s_b ON mail.sent_by = s_b.id WHERE mail.id = '$id' OR mail.replied_to = '$id' ORDER BY mail.sent DESC";
	$res = mysqli_query($dbc, $que);
	$counter = 0;

while ($message = mysqli_fetch_assoc($res)) {
			$counter++;
	?>
		<div class="email-header">
			<P><?php echo $subject['subject']; ?></P>
		</div>
		<div id="toggler-<?php echo $counter; ?>">
			<div class="row">
				<div class="col-md-12">
					<div class="col-md-6"><span class="to"> <strong><?php echo $message['to']; ?></strong></span></div>
					<div class="col-md-6"><span class="to pull-right"> <?php echo date("m-d-Y", strtotime($message['sent']));?> (<?php echo getTimeSince($message['sent']).' ago'; ?>)</span>
					</div>
				</div>
			</div>
			<div class="toggler-hide-<?php echo $counter; ?>">
				<div class="row">
					<div class="col-md-12">
						<div class="email-content">
							<?php echo $message['body']; ?>
						</div>
					</div>
				</div>
			</div>
		</div>
		<hr class="mail-controls-divider">
	<?php 
		} 
	?>

• Solution

I am in the process of writing a personal mail system for something that I am working on.

I am setting the system up that when you open the message. It shows the original message and all messages associated with the original message. I am doing this with a while loop. I do not want to, however, show the message subject with every iteration of the while loop.

How do I make it only show the subject once and run through the rest of the while loop?

This is the code that I have so far.

<div class="row compose-form">
<?php 
	$id = $_GET['id'];
	$que = "SELECT mail.*, CONCAT(s_t.first, ' ', s_t.last) AS 'to', CONCAT(s_b.first, ' ', s_b.last) AS 'for' FROM mail INNER JOIN users AS s_t ON mail.sent_to = s_t.id INNER JOIN users AS s_b ON mail.sent_by = s_b.id WHERE mail.id = '$id' OR mail.replied_to = '$id' ORDER BY mail.sent DESC";
	$res = mysqli_query($dbc, $que);
	$counter = 0;

while ($message = mysqli_fetch_assoc($res)) {
			$counter++;
	?>
		<div class="email-header">
			<P><?php echo $subject['subject']; ?></P>
		</div>
		<div id="toggler-<?php echo $counter; ?>">
			<div class="row">
				<div class="col-md-12">
					<div class="col-md-6"><span class="to"> <strong><?php echo $message['to']; ?></strong></span></div>
					<div class="col-md-6"><span class="to pull-right"> <?php echo date("m-d-Y", strtotime($message['sent']));?> (<?php echo getTimeSince($message['sent']).' ago'; ?>)</span>
					</div>
				</div>
			</div>
			<div class="toggler-hide-<?php echo $counter; ?>">
				<div class="row">
					<div class="col-md-12">
						<div class="email-content">
							<?php echo $message['body']; ?>
						</div>
					</div>
				</div>
			</div>