search engines on your website

fatkatie

We have a site that was coded years ago and it does searching in database tables for any number of things.  The mysql 'like' construct is commonly used.  Years pass...

Is there a search module that implements a more professional search?  I would expect (with our configurations) things like spelling correction, user search history, zip code locating, suggestions (you may be interested in this) and so on.  Even a simple one would be better than what we have now.

I expect the implementation would not be trivial.

The database contains products, addresses, product reviews, and new articles; among other things.

Thanks for suggestions.

Env:  mysql, php 5 (not7), godaddy host (shared)

We use Sphinx here. I won't claim to know much about it, but I am generally pleased with it.

A pure PHP solution probably won't be too good. You should have something running in memory to perform searches, and regular databases can't handle that kind of work.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.