Linux Desktop

mgaidia

Which linux desktop do you prefer?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which linux desktop do you prefer?

• KDE
    • GNOME
    • XFCE
    • Fluxbox
    • Enlightenment
    • N/A

KDE is very full featured, but that comes at a disadvantage - long compile times and lots of overhead. I prefer XFCE, myself - it's very lightweight, the whole bundle compiles in under an hour, and it's very easy to use.

I'll add some other popular ones to the list, just so we don't have all these "other" votes floating around.

I used KDE for some time, but I kind of like Gnome now over all other desktops. It's not that full of features like KDE, but is nice, clean and faster.
There are several applications I use from KDE like Quanta+, but as desktop Gnome is my favorite and it got my vote.

[quote author=Daniel0 link=topic=118291.msg483480#msg483480 date=1165949302]
Could somebody remove the 'N/A' option? I guess it is "not applicable" for Windows or Mac users, but if you use Windows or Mac you shouldn't even vote...
[/quote]
I added the option, you twit.  And I'll vote on a topic wherever I damn well please.

[quote author=ober link=topic=118291.msg485236#msg485236 date=1166153259]
I added the option, you twit.  And I'll vote on a topic wherever I damn well please.
[/quote]
Someone needs to add another option lik, "I don't really have anything useful to add to the discussion because I don't even use the OS in question, but I've got an over inflated ego and I do whatever I damn well please."

[quote author=artacus link=topic=118291.msg485282#msg485282 date=1166163596]
Someone needs to add another option lik, "I don't really have anything useful to add to the discussion because I don't even use the OS in question, but I've got an over inflated ego and I do whatever I damn well please."
[/quote]

Some people need to realize that there are those who have used the OS in question and don't care to vote for any of the desktops provided *gasp* since they don't use Linux anymore.

Oh, yea, I guess in that case, we would need a "N/A" choice... but wait, we're supposed to remove it, right? :P

hehe

obsidian: If you do not care then why vote at all?

If you vote for an election then there aren't an option called: "I do not care" or "N/A".
I think the same goes for here: If you do not care, then do not vote.

Edit: If you [obsidian and ober] think that there should be a N/A option, well... then there should be a 'N/A' option in every single poll in the case that somebody would like to "vote on a topic wherever they damn well please".

Nice language ober, by the way. Really great example of how to talk to other people on this forum. From now on everybody should use foul language when posting.

i'm gonna bend the rules a little. OSX is close enough to Linux in my own opinion, so I'll say OS X on the Mac, just so I can get involved.
Surely the only difference really (when people are considering them all in this way) between ALL OS desktops (regardless of platform) is the eye candy vs speed tradeoff? I tried Ubuntu once, and LOVED the wobbly windows when you drag them. And the cube when switching apps. But my humble computer just couldnt hack it, so I had to drool over some demos instead.

Eye candy is one category that differentiates desktop managers, but I think I can encompass everything with this: Features. That's what makes the desktop managers different. They all work the same, they're all solving one particular problem, so, really, the only thing that sets one apart from another is the extra features it provides. KDE comes with image editors, media players, and a web browser - and then, on the other end of the see-saw is something like Flux. They provide you with a desktop and a way to use it, but few or no extras. Sure, the eye candy accentuates differences a lot - TWM is just plain ugly, and KDE is pretty good looking. (I, personally, like GTK better than QT.) But there's soo much grey area... I think I'm going to let this point go.

And you can make a desktop manager look very different if you use a different window manager. Gnome looks pretty good with Metacity, but have you seen it with Beryl or Compiz? ([url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryl_(window_manager)]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryl_(window_manager)[/url]) Absolutely gorgeous. I have no clue where I'm going with this.

At any rate, it (more or less) comes down to the features they provide. (The gray area around "features" is massive... I know.)

• 3 weeks later...
[quote author=dustinnoe link=topic=118291.msg500435#msg500435 date=1168320104]
Ubuntu is nice
[/quote]

Well, Ubuntu is a distribution, rather than a desktop manager, but we can count it as a Gnome vote. (That's what Ubuntu uses for a desktop manager.)

• 1 month later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.