Apache will not run after PHP LoadModule edit is made.

I have spent an entire day trying to make this work and it simply will not do it. I have tried Apache from everywhere, finally from Apache Lounge. I have tried PHP version VC11, VC14 no matter what I try as soon as I add the line “php5_module "c:/php/php5apache2_4.dll" or “php7_module "c:/php7/php5apache2_4.dll"… whatever.  Frankly it’s become impossible to keep up with all the myriad configurations. Well actually PHP7 doesn’t even have a “php7apache2_4.dll” even though any documents you can find on it will tell you to point to that file, It doesn’t exist. All I’ve been able to find on it is some useless garbage about a mistake in the build After that I went back to trying to install VC11 still no joy it absolutely will not load . Apache will not run after these lines are added.

BTW Apache is installed at “C:/Apache24”. PHP is installed at “C:/PHP”

Apache will not start with the lines...

LoadModule php5_module "c:/php/php5apache2_4.dll"
AddHandler Application/x-httpd.php .php
PHPIniDir C:/PHP

I’ve been doing this for a solid 10 hours with consistently the same results. Apache will run fine until I add those lines in any of the countless arrangements suggested on all the enumerable web pages professing to tell you how to install PHP on windows 8.

The really screwed up thing is that I’ve had it running before and nowhere near this much trouble

Well actually PHP7 doesn’t even have a “php7apache2_4.dll” even though any documents you can find on it will tell you to point to that file, It doesn’t exist.

It does if you download the right one:

With Apache you have to use the Thread Safe (TS) versions of PHP.

Download the Thread Safe PHP 7 and use it with the version of Apache provided by apachelounge.com.

Well, what'd ya know? After a 2nd day of searching I've run across a site with links to the PHP7 downloads that are actually complete. This tutorial has links to the Apache24 downloads and the PHP7 downloads and wonder of wonders, these downloads actually have the “php7apache2_4.dll” file.

I literally couldn’t begin to count the sites I went to and tried unsuccessfully to implement. 
Small wonder the big tech companies are outsourcing / recruiting overseas engineers and coders. The American academic environment is turning out useless wastes of time.

BTW here is the page that actually provides for a successful install of Apache 2.4 and PHP7 .

https://danielarancibia.wordpress.com/2015/09/27/installing-apache-2-4-and-php-7-for-development-on-windows/

In my case this is on a Windows Surface pro running Windows 8.1

Actually I just deleted several copies of the TS versions in order to clear room on my little Surface Pro. As noted before  every time I tried to use PHP7 Apache wouldn’t start and googling it only turned up pages citing the missing dll issue. Thus my views on the state of modern American education.

I don't know about your education but apparently it was too difficult for you to find the official Windows downloads page (I suggest Google in the future), read the instructions that tell you to download the thread-safe version, and do so.

If you have a hard time remembering that, there's always YouTube. By sheer coincidence, no doubt, the very first video shows you exactly what to do.

If videos aren't your style, Google is still a good idea to try. You might even come across results that give step by step instructions; for some bizarre reason I don't understand, Google featured this page when showing me the results for that search, which said this weird thing

(non thread safe doesn't have the Apache dll)

that I don't understand either. But maybe the whole article is incomprehensible to you - again, don't know your education - so perhaps another result

To get the latest stable version download the thread safe binaries from the PHP for Windows site.

or another

Download the VC14 x64 Thread Safe

or another

choose the thread-safe version that matches your Apache installation's bit-version

or another

be sure to download a version that’s compatible with the former components: meaning a thread safe VC14 binary for 64 bit systems.

I can keep going but I think this thread has been answered a few times over now.

Archived