Need help ... I know this is a long shot

Tommytdl

Just trying to see if anyone here is able or willing to help me with this. I'm not a programmer so I'm not sure I'm even welcome here understandably but I can find my way around if pointed in the right direction so bear with me.

Right wrong or indifferent, I've installed an older (2006) script program for subscription photo/file uploading to use as an add-on to a forum I own. Apparently nobody supports it anymore - emails are not responded to.

The installation went OK - but I have two main problems with the software that I want to see if it's worth fixing or should it be tossed out.

1. on new member registration - the email generates but when the link to complete the registration is clicked the following error occurs and the member is not activated. I can manually activate the member in the database.

Error .... can't querySELECT * FROM `member` WHERE `activationcode` = 'c03082f1d3e2b16d905231793f083559''

2. Photos upload to the correct location - thumbnails are created and also stored in the uploads directory but they are blacked out. The program reports success uploading and sending an email but the following errors occur. I've dotted out the actual links - not sure if appropriate to post them here but I can send upon request.

Warning: imagesx() expects parameter 1 to be resource, null given in /home/ ... / ... /common.php on line 131
Warning: imagesy() expects parameter 1 to be resource, null given in /home/ ... /... /common.php on line 132
Warning: imagecopyresampled() expects parameter 2 to be resource, null given in /home/ ... / ... /common.php on line 151
Warning: imagedestroy() expects parameter 1 to be resource, null given in /home/ ... / ... /common.php on line 167

An unpatched 2006 script is something I'd stay away from for many reasons. Implementing an upload script is tricky even for very good programmers, a lot of PHP programmers aren't good, old scripts in particular are often awful, and the fact that the code has not and never will see an update is deeply worrying.

What you're seeing are just the most obvious errors. Those can certainly be fixed, but then you still haven't done anything about the rest of the code. Software doesn't get better with age.

If this is standard forum software, I'd be surprised if there was no current alternative.

An unpatched 2006 script is something I'd stay away from for many reasons. Implementing an upload script is tricky even for very good programmers, a lot of PHP programmers aren't good, old scripts in particular are often awful, and the fact that the code has not and never will see an update is deeply worrying.

What you're seeing are just the most obvious errors. Those can certainly be fixed, but then you still haven't done anything about the rest of the code. Software doesn't get better with age.

If this is standard forum software, I'd be surprised if there was no current alternative.

Thanks, I figured it would be a long shot. I guess I got suckered into something too good to be true. Not the first time and probably not the last lol. I can't say if it has been patched or not - just that it was written in 2006 and the author's email isn't being responded to. I understand the security concerns - the place I got it (Pligg) came from my hosting company's one-click-installs and I showed them the program but they couldn't help with it. They didn't seem to care very much about the security issues either lol. 

This is the program:

https://pligg.com/downloads/6440630-new-image-and-file-hosting-script-with-resale-rights/

it actually works pretty well and is structured exactly for what I need - an easy to use monthly subscription photo host as a companion for my forum which unfortunately (before my time) was created on a forum hosting company platform. The monthly subscription charge for levels of "storage space" through the forum software to allow attachments is completely outrageous and out of touch with reality. My forum users are using clunky programs like photo bucket and Flickr and there is no end to the frustration especially with mobile users - so I've been searching for a way to implement an alternative and get the costs covered.

Thanks again for the response, if anyone comes up with anything - knows of a decent replacement program - or feels like helping with a clean-up project for a bit of $$ let me know.

Tommy

Archived