Automatically upload a file via FTP (for use with a scheduled CRON job)

GOAL: Using CRON, run a script at scheduled times. The script uploads the contents of a directory on the servers computer via FTP to another directory on another computer.

I have never used CRON before but setting up jobs in cPanel does not look that difficult. I have read dozens on posts (all 5-10 years old) on how to connect via FTP and put files. But none describe how to do this via cron.

From what I can gather, it would be simpler to create a script that does the connection/upload and just use CRON to run the file.

Here's what I have been able to write so far but am unsure how to turn this into a usable script file to run in CRON. I'm thinking a Php file? I do not know Php and am in a bind.

Any help is appreciated.
---------------------------------------

#!/bin/bash
HOST=ftp.pentagon.base.com
USER=pentagon
PASSWORD=`echo cGFzc3dvcmQ= | base64 --decode`

ftp -inv $HOST <<EOF
user $USER $PASSWORD
cd /public_html/uploads/base
mput *.xlsx
bye
EOF

I'm not sure what the problem is and why you think you need PHP for this.

A cronjob is simply a command which is executed at certain times. You can run any script you want as long as it doesn't depend on user input. So if your above script works when executed directly, then it also works when executed as a cronjob.

Or did you run into any problems? Then you have to be more specific.

Thanks for responding.

I have yet to run this because I am unsure that it for one is correct or complete. I used my best guesses based on reading dozens of posts which were all very dated. My server is Linux based and uses cPanel. I know how to setup the cronjob itself. What I do not know is the correct syntax or format for the script and was hoping someone else here might. What I don't want to happen is to have some wrong switch or something that might delete files or screw something else up on my server. The file being uploaded is a simple xls file with data on it so it's harmless.

This does not have to be Php. I am open to suggestions. I simply need a script that will connect to another server via FTP and upload the contents of a directory. I will use a cronjob to run this at intervals.

Archived