Looking for new tires

conoroco

I know this is pretty much a forum about php programming, but I need some help with some tires. I have a 2005 Volkswagen Golf 5 and I've got it very cheap, because it's in a pretty bad shape. I've worked a lot on it, but now I need new tires, and I know nothing about them. Some friends recommended me this website "Holmes Tire" (.com), but I don't know what to think of it, I don't want to make a mistake. I'm looking for some tires only for this season, I'm going to change them when autumn/winter comes. Also, I'll drive a lot on the freeway. Thanks!

I've had good luck with Discounttire.com, but I don't know if my experience was "average" or "exceptional", and it was a few years ago.

As far as "what tires are the best", you might do well to check out Consumer Reports. IIRC, General Altimax, Pirelli P4 Four Seasons+,

and Michelin Defenders are top-ranked for most vehicles these days.

I've got some sporty Kumho's on my little red pocket rocket, and they've done well, too.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't bother basing yourself on brand. There are cheaper brands that have the same quality as the expensive ones. If you know what to look for.

Don't know much about the US market, but in the EU all tires have a label about noise, fuel consumption, and handling in rain. Also buy all season tires which are runflat and spend some more.

Or you would either need to buy 8 rims or go every season changing tires on your rims. The runflat will make sure that in case of a flat tire you don't damage your rims while being able to drive to your nearest mechanic instead of calling and waiting for towing.

It looks like this:

03eu-label-image-background1-data.jpg

I don't know if you have Costco in your area, but Costco is a great place to buy many things, including tires. Additionally, if you buy them there, you can periodically return to Costco for free re-balancing and tire rotation.

Archived