Call to a member function bind_param() on boolean ERROR

Zeehamster

I have a error and i dont know how to fix it:

ERROR:

[sun Jul 30 20:44:28.030608 2017] [proxy_fcgi:error] [pid 1222:tid 140689320777472] [] AH01071: Got error 'PHP message: PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function bind_param() on boolean in /home/timavnl/domains/tim-av.nl/public_html/6628/job/login_1.php on line 26\n', referer: http://tim-av.nl/6628/job/index.php

PHP CODE (LOGIN1.PHP):

<?php
    include("dbcon.php");
    include("functions.php");

$username = $_POST['username'];
    $password = $_POST['password'];

if ( $username == "" || $password == "" ) {
    echo "Gebruikersnaam en Wachtwoord moeten ingevuld zijn!";
   } else {
    if ( hasInvalidCharacters($username) ) {
    echo "Gebruikersnaam kan alleen letters bevatten [a-z A-Z]";
    } else {

$sql = "
       SELECT
           password
       FROM
           timavnl_1
       WHERE
           username = ?
       LIMIT 1;
    ";

$stmt = $mysqli->prepare($sql);
    $stmt->bind_param('s', $username);
    $stmt->execute();
    $stmt->bind_result($hashedPw);

$stmt-> fetch();
    if ( crypt($password, $hashedPw) == $hashedPw ) {

echo "Wachtwoord komt overeen";

} else {

echo "Wachtwoord komt NIET overeen";

}
   }
}

?>

FUNCTIONS.PHP
<?php

function hasInvalidCharacters($text) {
    return (bool) preg_match('/[äöüß "!§$%&\/()=[\]\?.:,;\-_]/x', $text);

}

function encrypt($input, $rounds = 12) {

$salt = "";

$saltChars = array_merge(range('A','Z'), range('a','z'), range('0','9'));
    for ($i = 0; $i < 22; $i++) {
    $salt .= $saltChars[array_rand($saltChars)];

}

return crypt($input, sprintf('$2y$%02d$', $rounds) . $salt );

}

?>

Greetings,
Job.

What does $stmt->error show?

I cant see the error because of the PHP ERROR 500

If i dont fill in any login credentials at the index.php i get a warning screen with: You need to fill in username & password

So the error is only showing up when i fill in the password wich is encrypted with $salt.

Look in your web & php log(s). The error should be logged somewhere.

[sun Jul 30 23:29:18.017047 2017] [proxy_fcgi:error] [pid 21373:tid 140689698318080] [client ip] AH01071: Got error 'PHP message: PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function bind_param() on boolean in /home/timavnl/domains/tim-av.nl/public_html/6628/job/login_1.php on line 26\n', referer: http://tim-av.nl/6628/job/index.php

This is the only error im getting in my Web error log

Before you do anything, you need to actually learn how to use mysqli – or even better: switch to PDO. mysqli isn't the kind of extension which “just works” as long as the code vaguely makes sense. It's a hard-core low-level interface for people who carefully read the manual and spend a lot of time getting every detail right. Let's be honest here: That's not how you operate.

If, for some crazy reason, you want to use mysqli nonetheless, then the first thing you need to learn is error handling. You can't just assume that methods never fail. As you just saw, they do. That means you either have to check – every – single – return value. Or you must enable exceptions. If you enable exceptions, do not catch them. I know PHP programmers have the strange urge to wrap everything in try-catch statements and print error messages on the screen. But exceptions should usually be left alone.

That crypt() stuff you've copied and pasted from the Internet is also messed up. Again: Read the manual. It explicitly tells you to use the Password Hash API. Like mysqli, crypt() is a low-level interface not intended for the average programmer. And it's even harder to use.

Archived