Safely embed HTML in a $string

ajoo

If YOU are creating the actual HTML codes, then there is no risk.  If the html is coming 'from' somewhere (dynamic, and not static so to speak) then you have to prepare it first.  You will have to run htmlentities() on it before outputting it tho.

Hi requinix and ginerjm !!

Thanks for the response ! Ya so the html escaping is not possible. As for the message, it could be a static or dynamic but I don't think it would include any user inputted data in it. 

However let's consider that the data is dynamic and also has some user input appended to the message. So I would like to know what's the best way to construct such a message so that it is perfectly safe.

Thanks loads ! 

Unfortunately strip_tags() is only a partial solution. Consider something like

strip_tags() can allow the but it doesn't do any validation on the rest of the tag.

I don't think it would include any user inputted data in it.

Then there's no risk - just make sure the HTML is well-formed.

However let's consider that the data is dynamic and also has some user input appended to the message.

Can you reduce that to a situation where the user input does not contain HTML? You could always prompt for more than one piece of data if you needed to fit it into a sort of template.

hmmm ! How about as follows:

<?php 
         $username = $_POST['username'];

$msg = "<p> This is a test </p>".html_escape($username);
         echo $msg;
?> 

Would not that sort the issue of a user input that is included?

Hi Guru Jacques, 

If you are referring to #9, that is the solution that I think should work. I am just asking for a confirmation.

This :

html_escape "<p> This is a test. </p></p>This is another.</p>"

is what won't work as i tested it.

Thanks !

Archived