Can a saved vagrant box handle a change in ISP ?

ajoo

Hi all, 

I have different internet service providers at home and at work. At home I use my cell phone's hotspot while at office I use a broadband. The vagrant box that I save at work, then needs to be halted and restarted or reloaded when I use the box using my cell phone's hotspot.

This works fine but is irritable since I then need to make changes to the hosts file since a new ip is generated each time. I also need to make changes to my recaptcha settings in the google account. As this is a daily thing, it is a real drag since restarting vagrant takes a long time and at times requires many "vagrant up" commands before it finally starts successfully.

I was wondering if there is some method by which this can be handled automatically so that I don't reed to "vagrant reload" each time and then make changes to IP addresses at various places. 

Thanks loads !

Hi Gizmola !

Thanks for the response.

Here's my Vagrant file. 

Vagrant.configure("2") do |config|
  config.vm.box = "box-cutter/ubuntu1404-i386"

config.vm.network "public_network", ip: "192.168.2.10"

# Vagrant v2.0+
		config.vm.synced_folder ".", "/vagrant", 
		owner: "vagrant",
		group: "www-data",
		mount_options: ["dmode=775,fmode=664"]			

In have, since I asked this question, added a static ip. But that too changes for different service providers. ( like when i connect from my broadband modem and from my cellphone)

The hosts file is the file at the loaction :- c:/windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts. It is the file that maps the static ip of the guest VM to a local website like example.dev to be accessible from the host machine.

Thanks !

What you want to do is change your network from public_network to "private_network". This will used the Nat adapter.

Make sure the network is something that is unlikely to conflict with your home or work network. Something like '192.168.77.x'

Archived