What is "Configure Command" in the phpinfo() output?

Hey

Does anyone know excactly what the "Configure Command" section contains in the phpinfo() output. Is it the "options" which the php install was compiled with or what the php.ini
file contains?

It's because my current webhost hasn't enabled the exif extensions and I was wondering if they needed to compile their php all over again or if there is a chance that their php was compiled with "--enable-exif" and they just need to enable it in php.ini.

[code]The Configure Command section from phpinfo():

'./configure' '--enable-versioning' '--enable-memory-limit' '--with-layout=GNU'
'--with-config-file-scan-dir=/usr/local/etc/php' '--disable-all' '--enable-libxml'
'--with-libxml-dir=/usr/local' '--enable-reflection' '--enable-spl' '--with-regex=php'
'--with-apxs2=/usr/local/sbin/apxs' '--prefix=/usr/local' 'i386-portbld-freebsd6.0'[/code]

I hope you guys know what I mean.

Thanks
Wuhtzu

But if thats the case, that "configure command" is what was used when php was compiled, why does the "Exif Functions - Manual" state that:

"[i][u]To enable exif-support configure PHP with --enable-exif[/u]
Windows users must enable both the php_mbstring.dll and php_exif.dll DLL's in php.ini.
The php_mbstring.dll DLL must be loaded before the php_exif.dll DLL so adjust your php.ini accordingly.[/i]"

http://no.php.net/manual/en/ref.exif.php

That sounds like PHP can be compiled with --enable-exif and then still turn it on / off in the php.ini.

[quote author=Wuhtzu link=topic=118478.msg484292#msg484292 date=1166042163]
That sounds like PHP can be compiled with --enable-exif and then still turn it on / off in the php.ini.
[/quote]
No thats not true.

If your host was using a Windows server then you can just add/uncomment php_exif.dll to the php.ini and thats it. However your host is using a linux server (freeBSD). So inorder for the exif library to be enabled PHP willl need to recompiled and the exif library will be available.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello guys.

I also have the same problem. I need to use php Curl Extension and my host deosn't have Curl extension compiled with php. But I really need this Curl. isn't there a way to get around this.

[b]Is it necessary to re-compile php before one can use an extension. I think there should be a way to dynamically load extensions in php. [/b]

Please I need anyone who can telll me how to get CURL working on my host.

Please I need help.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.