display user even if select query returns nothing

glendango

$result = mysqli_query($conn, "SELECT users.name,users.surname,  firsts.usr_id, count(usr_id) ,count(date_made) as date_made FROM `firsts`  left join users on users.id=firsts.usr_id         
    WHERE DATE(`date_made`) BETWEEN CURDATE() - INTERVAL 7 DAY AND CURDATE() group by usr_id  ");

Hi, as you can see i join 2 tables which gives me a small table with:   name |   surname  |   firsts for last 7 days  |    

i search results by counting the entries from date_made.

If the user has made no 'firsts' in the last 7 days, they don't show up in the table..which is kind of cool but i need the staff who have no firsts to show up in the table with 0 firsts next to them..

sorry for the below text,,it let me paste the table in and on submission printed this :

i get this result

Name         id Last 7 days

billy bragg 1 10

James brown 5 1

bless you 6 1

Total 12

i want

Name                 id         last 7 days

billy bragg          1          10

lisa jones           3           0

James brown     5           1

bless you           6           1

redd eyes          7             0

dunelm bob     11            0

Total   12

my statements are prob rank but good to know if there is a solution. thx

thanks fo reply , this gave me the same result as my version:

"SELECT users.name,users.surname,  usr_id, count(date_made) as date_made FROM users LEFT JOIN firsts on users.id=firsts.usr_id

WHERE DATE(`date_made`) BETWEEN CURDATE() - INTERVAL 7 DAY AND CURDATE() group by usr_id  ");

really sorry but iam getting an error. it gives error direct into sql as well. 

i can see that your requesting the id from the users table so this is a clue to how this then gets displayed.. sorry to waste your time but is the firsts.f and users.u supposed to be there as i cant see what it references.

$result = mysqli_query($conn,"SELECT
     users.name , users.surname , users.id , count(firsts.date_made) as date_made
FROM
    users.u
      LEFT JOIN
    firsts.f
        ON users.id = firsts.usr_id
        AND DATE(`firsts.date_made`) BETWEEN CURDATE() - INTERVAL 7 DAY AND CURDATE()
GROUP BY users.id");

while($firsts=mysqli_fetch_assoc($result)){

Why ask me what it looks like then rewrite it your own way introducing errors?

The "u" and the "f" are table aliases and there should not be a period between the name and the alias. You may use an optional "AS" keyword (eg FROM users AS u).

If you do define an alias (as I have) then you need to use the alias and not the tablename when prefixing column names (ie f.date_made and not firsts.date_made).

Sorry to ask again.   If i wanted to also use this select statement to only show the users with same branch_id , where would this go? i've tried a few things but keep getting errors. is it to do with sessions or just adding = to branch_id somewhere in the select statement?  

"SELECT u.name , u.surname , u.id , u.company_id, count(f.date_made) as date_made FROM users u LEFT JOIN firsts f ON u.id  = f.usr_id AND DATE(f.date_made) BETWEEN CURDATE() - INTERVAL 7 DAY AND CURDATE() GROUP BY u.id  "

how would i select the branch id dynamically?   i.e. where u.company_id=4​    i need it to group the users with the same branch id. without me actually putting 4 in..  

SELECT u.name , u.surname , u.id , u.company_id, count(f.date_made) as date_made FROM users u LEFT JOIN firsts f ON u.id  = f.usr_id where u.company_id=4 AND DATE(f.date_made) BETWEEN CURDATE() - INTERVAL 7 DAY AND CURDATE()  group by  u.id  ") ;

Why have you put the date condition back in the WHERE clause. I have already told you that was wrong. We're going to be here forever at this rate.

SELECT 
     u.name
   , u.surname
   , u.id
   , count(f.date_made) as date_made 
FROM 
    users u
      LEFT JOIN 
    firsts f 
        ON u.id = f.usr_id
        AND DATE(f.date_made) BETWEEN CURDATE() - INTERVAL 7 DAY AND CURDATE() 
WHERE u.company_id = ?
GROUP BY u.id ;
Use a prepared statement and bind the required id as a parameter before executing the query

"SELECT u.name , u.surname , u.id , u.company_id, count(f.date_made) as date_made FROM users u LEFT JOIN firsts f ON u.id  = f.usr_id  AND DATE(f.date_made) BETWEEN CURDATE() - INTERVAL 7 DAY AND CURDATE()   group by  u.id having u.company_id='".$_SESSION['company_id']."'    ") ;

this seems to have worked..will send a donation as think your bollockings are very useful :  what do you  think?  i set up a session as company_id  and put it in the select...    is this how business apps are able to link all users by their branches etc  or is there a better link you know of to teach to set up users by branch / company  /  all in a league..a bit like strava but for sales leads. 

A couple of points.

1) You should use prepared queries and not put data directly into a query string. Use a "?" placeholder for the parameter value.

2) Why have you changed to HAVING instead of the WHERE clause I suggested? A WHERE will filter the inputs, a HAVING will filter the outputs so I expect the WHERE should be more efficient, especially if you have index set up on the company id column (although I would have to benchmark test to be sure). The main use of a HAVING clause is when you want a condition on an aggregated column (eg ... HAVING COUNT(date_made) > 50 )

$query = "SELECT 
          WHERE company_id = ? 
          GROUP BY u,id";
$stmt = $conn->prepare($query);
$stmt->bind_param('i', $_SESSION['company_id'];
$stmt-execute();

Archived