PHP conditional statement (prevent a certain record from being inserted into database)

hgkhkhk

I have tried everything to prevent this scenario from happening, but everything has failed. I would be very grateful if anyone could help with this scenario. If someone has booked an equipment on a certain day between 00:00 and 06.00, then someone tries to book the same equipment on the same day between 01:00 and 05:00, how do I stop this from happening? No matter what I do, the system still inserts a record into the database.Here is the code I am using:

<?php
    if(isset($_GET['add'])){
    $equipment=$_POST['equipment'];
    $start=$_POST['start'];
    $end=$_POST['end'];
    $notes=mysqli_real_escape_string($dbconnection, $_POST['notes']);
    $eventdate=$month."/".$day."/".$year;

//This code inserts the record
    $sqlinsert="insert into bookings (equipment,start_time,end_time,notes,selected_date,date_added) values ('".$equipment."','".$start."','".$end."','".$notes."','".$eventdate."',now())";
    $resultinsert=mysqli_query($dbconnection,$sqlinsert);

if($resultinsert){
    echo "<span class='go'>  Booking was successful  </span>";
    }
    }

?>

I have tried everything: from asking the database to check for records: "SELECT * FROM bookings WHERE selected_date BETWEEN start_time AND end_time";

to using conditional statements: if($start>$start && $end<$end) { echo "no"; }

But nothing is working. Thank you to anyone who can help.

@requinix

I tried doing the following, but what ended up happening is that no bookings were allowed to be made.

$sql="SELECT * FROM bookings WHERE selected_date AND start_time < end_time AND end_time>start_time";
     $result= mysqli_query($dbconnection, $sql);
     $results=mysqli_num_rows($result);
     if($results>0) {
         echo "<span class='no'> Error </span>";
     }else{

//This code inserts the record
     $sqlinsert="insert into bookings (equipment,start_time,end_time,notes,selected_date,date_added) values ('".$equipment."','".$start."','".$end."','".$notes."','".$eventdate."',now())";
     $resultinsert=mysqli_query($dbconnection,$sqlinsert);

if($resultinsert){
         echo "<span class='go'>  Booking was successful  </span>";
     }

What I am building is a calendar. Yes, bookings are not allowed to span multiple days. The user clicks a date and then has to select an equipment from a drop down list along with the booking times (also from drop down lists- start time and end time have their own drop down lists.) So if the user has selected 12.00 to 18.00 and then another user tries booking the same equipment on the same day from 14.00 to 15.00 (obvious time clash) the system unfortunately still goes ahead and books the second user's request.

I just don't know what to do to stop this from happening.

@requinix-

selected_date is the field in the database- used to store the date which the user has selected from the calendar.

I used the following variable to be store the date.

$eventdate=$month."/".$day."/".$year;

The $eventdate variable is then inserted into the selected_date field in the bookings table in the database.

Archived