How to include files in other folders?

CloudWindMoonSun

Hi,

As beginner to PHP, I tried everything I know to include a php file which is in another folder, but I had no success. So the folder structure I use is as following:

MyFolder (folder)
|
|--- phpseclib (folder)
|     |
|     |--- Crypt (folder)
|           |
|           |--- RSA.php
|
|--- foo.php

In foo.php, which its contents is listed below, I need to include RSA.php, which resides in MyFolder/phpseclib/Crypt/
but it just doesn't work. What am I doing wrong?

<?php
    namespace MyOwnNamespace;

include('phpseclib/Crypt/RSA.php');
    // require_once 'phpseclib/Crypt/RSA.php'; // even this doesn't work

class MyClass
    {
        public function MyFunction() {
            $rsa = new \Crypt_RSA();
            $rsa->setHash("sha256");
        }
    }
?>

In regards to "white page"

Create a page - ie my_error_find.php and include the file you are testing to see if you can jump a useful error out.

<?php
######### ERROR FINDING PAGE #########

ini_set('display_errors', 1);
ini_set('display_startup_errors', 1);
ini_set('error_reporting', E_ALL);
error_reporting(E_ALL);
error_reporting(-1);

include("phpseclib/Crypt/RSA.php"); // <<== PATH TO FILE WITH ERRORS
include("foo.php"); // <<== PATH TO FILE WITH ERRORS

?>

In regards to "white page"

Create a page - ie my_error_find.php and include the file you are testing to see if you can jump a useful error out.

<?php
######### ERROR FINDING PAGE #########

ini_set('display_errors', 1);
ini_set('display_startup_errors', 1);
ini_set('error_reporting', E_ALL);
error_reporting(E_ALL);
error_reporting(-1);

include("phpseclib/Crypt/RSA.php"); // <<== PATH TO FILE WITH ERRORS
include("foo.php"); // <<== PATH TO FILE WITH ERRORS

?>

Thanks BigB, using your code, I got some information about the problem. Here they are:

Warning: include_once(Math/BigInteger.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /Users/hhhh/Sites/MyFolder/phpseclib/Crypt/RSA.php on line 496

Warning: include_once(): Failed opening 'Math/BigInteger.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:') in /Users/hhhh/Sites/MyFolder/phpseclib/Crypt/RSA.php on line 496

Fatal error: Class 'Math_BigInteger' not found in /Users/hhhh/Sites/MyFolder/phpseclib/Crypt/RSA.php on line 554

The fie BigInteger.php is actually located inside /users/hhhh/Sites/MyFolder/phpseclib/Math/ and it's used from within RSA.php.

MyFolder (folder)
|
|--- phpseclib (folder)
|     |
|     |--- Crypt (folder)
|     |      |
|     |      |--- RSA.php
|     |      
|     |--- Math (folder)
|            |
|            |--- BigInteger.php
|
|--- foo.php

The thing is as you know phpseclib library is not mine and I hesitate to change it unless if there is no other way to do this. It seems that phpseclib cannot find the classes using relative path.

Why not use a php var to set a path that gets you into your MyFolder directory?  And then use a reference that looks like:

$root_folder = '/xxx/xxx/MyFolder';

$root_folder . '/phpseclib....';

and

$root_folder . '/phpsceclib/Math.....';

and

$root_folder . '/foo.php....';

Assuming that you will be keeping the same layout as you have described, this allows for the whole thing to be migrated perhaps in the future to a new parent folder.

Don't know why the references to namespaces came up.  I don't see the need and since I have never used one don't understand how they could help.  What you are experiencing is simply a reference problem in my mind.

PS - personally I think it is a bad idea to use a folder name having a dot in it.  Old school DOS guy here who would have had FITS with that kind of code.

One way or the other.....

Personally I like the more obvious approach.  Using the include path is a good method but I think that it s/b reserved for more general application usage.  This reference is pertinent to a particular usage and (imo) s/b more apparent to the next person to come along and try to read this script.  Place the root path in a global var or add it to a module that is a standard include in the application scripts

You could set the include path. 

$path = '/path/to/MyFolder';
set_include_path(get_include_path().PATH_SEPARATOR.$path);

include("phpseclib/Crypt/RSA.php"); 

I changed my code as following:

$path = '/Users/hhhh/Sites/MyFolder';
set_include_path(get_include_path() . PATH_SEPARATOR . $path);

But the only thing that changed is a slight change in the error I get:

Warning: include_once(Math/BigInteger.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /Users/hhhh/Sites/MyFolder/phpseclib/Crypt/RSA.php on line 496

Warning: include_once(): Failed opening 'Math/BigInteger.php' for inclusion (include_path='.::/Users/hhhh/Sites/MyFolder') in /Users/hhhh/Sites/MyFolder/phpseclib/Crypt/RSA.php on line 496

Fatal error: Class 'Math_BigInteger' not found in /Users/hhhh/Sites/MyFolder/phpseclib/Crypt/RSA.php on line 554

Why not use a php var to set a path that gets you into your MyFolder directory?  And then use a reference that looks like:

$root_folder = '/xxx/xxx/MyFolder';

$root_folder . '/phpseclib....';

and

$root_folder . '/phpsceclib/Math.....';

and

$root_folder . '/foo.php....';

Assuming that you will be keeping the same layout as you have described, this allows for the whole thing to be migrated perhaps in the future to a new parent folder.

Don't know why the references to namespaces came up.  I don't see the need and since I have never used one don't understand how they could help.  What you are experiencing is simply a reference problem in my mind.

PS - personally I think it is a bad idea to use a folder name having a dot in it.  Old school DOS guy here who would have had FITS with that kind of code.

I tried your suggestion and change the code as following: 

$root_folder = '/Users/hhhh/Sites/MyFolder';
$root_folder . '/phpseclib';
$root_folder . '/phpseclib/Crypt';
$root_folder . '/phpsceclib/Math';
$root_folder . '/foo.php';

Now I get this error:

Fatal error: Class 'Crypt_RSA' not found in /Users/hhhh/Sites/MyFolder/foo.php on line 46

p.s. BTW, there is no dot in any of my folder names!

From your original post:

my bad I guess - foo.php resembled a folder to me at first glance.

AS for your attempt to include something from the Math folder - look at what you are doing. Envision what the real path looks like that you are asking php to process. You're missing something.

And as for last box of code: What are you doing there? Trying to build one long string of folder names? What I gave you was an EXAMPLE of how my suggestion could be used in your example - not a suggestion to join all the folder names into one variable - which my example is not doing.

PS - if you already define a $path using / as separators, why do you need to use the constant right after that for another definition?

You could set the include path. 

$path = '/path/to/MyFolder';
set_include_path(get_include_path().PATH_SEPARATOR.$path);

@taquitosensei, thank you very much. I changed my code as following  and it now works like a charm. 

$path = '/Users/hhhh/Sites/MyFolder/phpseclib';
set_include_path(get_include_path() . PATH_SEPARATOR . $path);
include("phpseclib/Crypt/RSA.php");tax

Archived