mgaidia

Vote for your favorite paid forum software  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for your favorite paid forum software

• vBulletin
    • Invision Power Board
    • WoltLab Burning Board
    • Other

[quote author=JayBachatero link=topic=118552.msg484560#msg484560 date=1166072318]
So free forum software are not good? ;)
[/quote]
yeah with so many free forums out there these days, a handful are ALWAYS going to rise to the top and stand out, meaning that effectively, paid forums are a waste of money now. I did like IPB before PHPFreaks moved, but that was more from a user perspective. However, if the admins say there was a tonne of security problems and holes all over, and moved from the commercial IPB to free SMF as a result, that's good enough for me.

I vote for vBulletin!
It's just a matter of like or don't like. For example I like vBulleting (paid) and SMF (free) but I don't like IPB (paid) and phpBB (free).

However I must admit, in my opinion vBulleting is the strongest Forum software. Some may disagree, but this is just my opinion.

On choosing from only [b]paid[/b], I'd have to say vBulletin; however, I would also jump on the OS bandwagon on this one. From my playing, I've found SMF to be the best overall so far for ease of use and customization. I definitely recommend people to go that way if they have a choice to use an OS one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
[quote author=LiamProductions link=topic=118552.msg635134#msg635134 date=1183479591]
[quote author=LiamProductions link=topic=118552.msg632779#msg632779 date=1183204815]
It has to be vBulletin, but if you download SMF you can customize it easy.
[/quote]
[/quote]

I know you said that but it still doesn't answer the question about SMF using javascript for the login.  What exactly do you mean?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Invision hands down.  I find it to be extremely secure; I have never seen any up-to-date IPB powered forum attacked, not even by spam bots.  SMF on the other hand, I've seen that spammed, hacked, sessions hijacked, and all sorts of other things.

vBulletin is too slow for me, and WotLab is basically a POS compared to most forums.  Also, IPB has an extensive amount of addons, modifications, skins, etc. I daresay it is even comparable to phpBB in that respect.

But I don't use IPB for most things, only on projects that I think may become popular, need the extra security, etc.  On most of my sites, I use SMF or phpBB, depending on which one has the themes and mods I need.

[quote author=obsidian link=topic=118552.msg484797#msg484797 date=1166106097]
On choosing from only [b]paid[/b], I'd have to say vBulletin; however, I would also jump on the OS bandwagon on this one. From my playing, I've found SMF to be the best overall so far for ease of use and customization. I definitely recommend people to go that way if they have a choice to use an OS one.
[/quote]

Every one of the choices in this poll is Open Source software.  Free as in free speech, however, [b]not[/b] free as in free beer.  It is possible to do that ;)

[b]EDITED BY akitchin:  i don't think people like having to copy/paste text into another program just to read it.[/b]

[quote author=Gho§t link=topic=118552.msg669671#msg669671 date=1187037708]
[/quote]

Every one of the choices in this poll is Open Source software.  Free as in free speech, however, [b]not[/b] free as in free beer.  It is possible to do that ;)
[/quote]

I don't know about WoltLab Burning Board (and I didn't care to check it), but IPB and vB is definitely not open source. You are not allowed to redistribute the source when you've bought it thus making it "not free" (as in both free speech and free beer).

[quote author=Daniel0 link=topic=118552.msg669683#msg669683 date=1187038396]
[quote author=Gho§t link=topic=118552.msg669671#msg669671 date=1187037708]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I don't know about WoltLab Burning Board (and I didn't care to check it), but IPB and vB is definitely not open source. You are not allowed to redistribute the source when you've bought it thus making it "not free" (as in both free speech and free beer).
[/quote]

But you are able to see, modify, and reuse the code (to an extent).  But you're right, it doesn't fulfill all the requirements, actually, in all honesty, I forgot about the redistributing part of Open Source philosophy. xD

Must've been a brain fart on my part.  Sorry about that ;) (I feel sooo stupid right now lol)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.