Print vs. Web Page issue...

Jim R

I'm setting up CSS to create single page printouts of web pages.  Everything looks good except one aspect.  

We're looking at the area just below where it says Skills Breakdown.  On the printed page, there is a large gap that shouldn't exist and doesn't exist on the web page.  

The web page:

post-44159-0-09279100-1513013666_thumb.png

The printed page:

post-44159-0-76515100-1513013781_thumb.png

I don't know of a way to see what's creating the gap in the printed page.

Familiar with inspecting HTML and CSS in your browser? See if it can apply print styles (or just make the page do that with some client-side manipulation) and have at.

I'm looking at the page myself but it's quite... broken. Not the same as what you've posted. Are you actively working on it right now?

I can't really tell unless I can see the page working the way you're seeing it.

Have you ever used Chrome's dev tools? You can do stuff like inspect and manipulate the CSS to find out why the page acts the way it does. Overlapping elements probably means a too short height on the upper element, but if you're floating or using other special positioning then there are a number of ways layout can go wrong.

I can't really tell unless I can see the page working the way you're seeing it.

Have you ever used Chrome's dev tools? You can do stuff like inspect and manipulate the CSS to find out why the page acts the way it does. Overlapping elements probably means a too short height on the upper element, but if you're floating or using other special positioning then there are a number of ways layout can go wrong.

I'm looking at Chrome Dev Tools, emulating Print media.  

It's actually reflecting a *margin-top:  -300px !important;* that I have, which is what caused the overlap in Chrome.  When I comment out that style, it shows the same gap in Safari, except it's a little deeper, more like a page break.

The -300px top margin had zero effect in Safari's print preview.  

Actually I think the problem is that it's working on your side, not that it isn't working for me: like I said earlier, I tried some online services that capture screenshots of websites and they all matched what I'm seeing.

What are you using for that?  Because I'm only going by what I see in browsers and print previews.  

Ok...I see what the issue is.  There are two areas of the page which require being in a certain User Group.  I think I fixed it.  However, I still have two results for the printed page.  

The 'premium user' gets a little more content.  It looks great on the web page, but it still has the gap between SKILLS BREAKDOWN and the actual table.

The regular user, I think it now looks good on the web page, but the table overlaps SKILLS BREAKDOWN.  Truly, this is immaterial big picture, as I'm eventually removing it from view for regular users.  I just wanted to tell you the differences (gap vs. overlap) of the two versions.  

Obviously, neither is desired.  

The code for the chart comes from:

<script src="https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/Chart.js/2.6.0/Chart.min.js" />
<script src="https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/Chart.js/2.6.0/Chart.bundle.js"></script>
<script src="https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/Chart.js/2.6.0/Chart.bundle.min.js"></script>
<script src="https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/Chart.js/2.6.0/Chart.js"></script>

<?php

$query = "SELECT * FROM a_players
	WHERE CONCAT(nameFirst,' ', nameLast) = '".$slug."'";

?>

<canvas id="myChart" width="200" height="100"></canvas> 

<script>
var ctx = document.getElementById("myChart");
var myChart = new Chart(ctx, {
    type: 'horizontalBar',
    data: {
        labels: ["Score Right", "Score Left", "Range", "Shot Mechanics", "Passing", "Per D", "Post D", "Rebounding", "Athleticism", "Strength"],
        datasets: [{
            label: 'Basketball Skill set',
            data: [8, 6, 9, 4, 9, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12],
            backgroundColor: [
                'rgba(255, 99, 132, 0.2)',
                'rgba(54, 162, 235, 0.2)',
                'rgba(255, 206, 86, 0.2)',
                'rgba(75, 192, 192, 0.2)',
                'rgba(153, 102, 255, 0.2)',
                'rgba(255, 159, 64, 0.2)'
            ],
            borderColor: [
                'rgba(255,99,132,1)',
                'rgba(54, 162, 235, 1)',
                'rgba(255, 206, 86, 1)',
                'rgba(75, 192, 192, 1)',
                'rgba(153, 102, 255, 1)',
                'rgba(255, 159, 64, 1)'
            ],
            borderWidth: 1
        }]
    },
    options: {
        scales: {
            yAxes: [{
                ticks: {
                    min: 3,
                    max: 12
                }
            }]
        }
    }
});
</script>

I have it showing on the page via an INCLUDE:

echo '<div class="skills"><h2>Skills Breakdown</h2>';	
   		include(ABSPATH ."scripts/charts_js/charts.php");
   		echo '</div>';

CSS for browser:

div.skills {
	padding-left: 20px;
}

CSS for printed page:  (I'm considering just eliminating it on the printed page for everyone)

Any change I make in margin-top has zero impact.  

#myChart {
		margin-top: -100px !important;	

/* 
		display: none !important;
 */

}	

Yeah, now it looks much better.

The margin-top is definitely the problem: if I disable the rule then the heading and chart don't overlap. Remove that bit entirely. I don't see any caching on playerProfiles.css so the change should take effect immediately.

I logged out so I could see what you're seeing.  The web page still looks good, but here is the print preview.   The gap is very present now, logged in and logged out.  See the chart sneaking out at the bottom of the page, well below Skills Breakdown.  

post-44159-0-25728100-1513104810_thumb.png

No more margin-top.  I was able to isolate how to control the styling.  

.skills canvas {

padding-left: 30px;
height:  258px !important;
width: 600px !important;
}

Height above 258px causes the gap in the printed page.  Not sure it's big enough to read.  

And now the Skills Breakdown is completely gone...

Look. I'm fine helping you figure out what's wrong and how to fix it, but if you keep changing the page around in such drastic ways I can't really do anything. Which is to say nothing of the fact that you're working on your actual live site instead of a development version.

And now the Skills Breakdown is completely gone...

Look. I'm fine helping you figure out what's wrong and how to fix it, but if you keep changing the page around in such drastic ways I can't really do anything. Which is to say nothing of the fact that you're working on your actual live site instead of a development version.

I appreciate your time.   I'm not sure I'm going to be able to get the words big enough while keeping the print out on one page.  I put it back up.  If it's a fix that comes easily to mind, or you'd like me to try something, I'll keep on it.  I'd like to keep the chart.  It's unique in the market.  (Even the grid I posted above it is unique in this market.)

The site isn't truly live.  That page is only accessible via the direct URL or a page which is protected.  

Archived