Registration form/Login Form

skipper1

Hi All - My name is Skip

I'm new to php - I have some experience with HTML & CSS and I'm at present making websites with Adobe Muse. For the last 3 1/2 weeks (every day 6-8 hrs. per day) I have been all over the web reading, watching video's (Youtube), etc. I think I'm starting to get an Idea of what's going on but can't quite find information to totally understand it. I get stuck on the simple stuff mostly - anyway I'm a slow learner - but once I've got it - look out ---

I've built a website in muse and need a registration page/login page - and an interactive page - nothing fancy - just workable with the back end server info for my PHP  mysql database - at this point I think it would help me if I had a phpfreak to guide me in the right direction (?) -- is there a simple way to do it? - (Copy and Paste?)  - even some of the pay sites I've seen are unclear to me what I'm getting for my buck and they basically have no contact info except to pay - I want to learn it but I feel I'm not on the total right path - I hope someone out there can help or give me some advice

Thanks Skip

to learn the basics of the php language, use the php.net documentation. you will want to learn - variables, assignment statements, string syntax, conditional statements, comparison operators, echoing values on a web page, debugging statements (var_dump()).

then you will want to learn a how to use the php PDO database extension in order to interact with a MySQL database. you will want to use prepared queries when supplying data values to the sql query statement and use exceptions to handle database statement errors.

to learn the basics of the sql language, use the dev.mysql.com documentation. you will want to learn the syntax for SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE queries.

you will then want to practice designing, writing, testing, and debugging simple php code that forms and executes each of the above mentioned sql queries, using test data from php variables (later this data will come from submitted form data.)

next, you will want to practice designing, writing, testing, and debugging a simple form and form processing code. the form processing code should 1) detect that a post method form was submitted, 2) validate all the input data, 3) if there are no validation errors, use the submitted form data, 4) if there are validation errors, you would output/echo them at the appropriate point in the html document when you re-display the form. you would also re-populate the form field values with any submitted form data so that the user doesn't need to keep re-entering data. if you use an array to hold validation errors, you can use the empty() or not empty() state of the array to test if there are not or there are validation errors.

finally, once you are familiar with each of these tasks, you are ready to design, write, test, and debug a complete application that makes use of all of these elements.

Archived