custom imdb plugin

scottiescotsman

I have coded a custom movie theme for wordpress but need a custom imdb plugin, as I am at present manually typing in all the movie data.

I have tried most of the imdb plugins that are out there but to my dismay they don't hit the mark for me.

I have also tried coding a plugin myself but I am dreadful as I know nothing about plugin development or scrapers or python, so I'm fked lol

need loads of help but am also willing to pay for some ones services.

Thanks in advance

I want the plugin just to scrape certain information from the imdb website,

https://www.screencast.com/t/KNCBfE7J7

also actors, directors and writers.

even if you helped me code my current theme to accommodate a search imdb button that would add the above information for me,

that would be the dogs bollocks.

thanks for your reply

What is the purpose of your application? Are you building an application for public use?

Your explanation of what the tool to do is lacking. You say you want it to scrape certain information. How do you expect it to know what movies, actors, etc. it should extract the information for? Are you going to provide the IMDB record ID? I would guess not. So, you need a search feature. There might be multiple results from a search, so then you need a way to "select" the right record. It's a little more complicated than you are presenting it.

I've done something similar for a personal project for allmusic.com and actually built some logic to use allmovie.com, but never got around to completing it. It is not a trivial amount of effort. If an API is available, I suggest you use it as opposed to screen scraping that requires a lot of time to analyze all the variability in possible data to build the right solution.

Yes I would provide the imdb movie number or the movie name and yes to all the other stuff. It's for personal use for my web address that isn't live at present.

Also I have learned a lot since starting my web address till now, considering I had no wordpress, php or css experience since I started this project.

Eventually I might stream the movies too...

how ever much this costs its kewl as I could never be able to do it myself.

thanks for your replies

Yes I would provide the imdb movie number or the movie name and yes to all the other stuff.

If you are going to enter the IMDB ID - then the logic only need to pull the info for that record. You cannot pull a record simply by the name because people, movies, etc. can have the same name. So, there is more complexity to what you are asking than I think you realize. You would need a search function to perform a search against IMDB and then provide a UI for the user to see the results of that search to select a record, the then the ability to pull the record data and parse it for what you need. That is just the high level description. As you get into the actual implementation there are many little pieces that would be needed.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

A number of people replied to your Ad. We don't typically surface those posts, but the main issue is that you didn't provide a way for people to get in contact with you other than your website URL.

I would suggest you provide skype,email or whatever you prefer to your post.

Archived